Ran - Kurosawa

M

Markmw

Does anyone have much knowledge on this film on DVD?
I'd like to make my mind up whether to buy the R1 Masterworks Edition or the forthcoming R2 Special Edition - 2 discs.

I'm tempted by the R2 with the documentary, but priority is the picture. Obviously one isn't relased yet but does anyone know about the transfer/picture quality?

That said, the R1 seems to have Japanese audio in 5.1 whereas the R2 is stereo.

Thanks.

Can't seem to access the new Beaver comparion (?).

I got the Wellspring as soon as I saw it. There's a really excellent commentary by a Stephen Prince, a Kurosawa scholar, and although I don't take surround sound seriously the 5.1 mix is a bonus. I thought the colours were good but picture could have been sharper (appears there could possibly be some Pal transfer issues according to the Beaver). Also subtitles are optional. This is currently 10.98 from dvdpacific.com and still worth getting.

However, the R2 with "AK" should get the vote, although I'd wait to see how the it compares with a Warner R1 version when it becomes available. I just hope they don't come in snap cases, otherwise it'll be an Aussie R4!

Also check out the Criterion "Throne of Blood" -- great companion disc.

Odd you cant access the link - works ok for me.
Try this one and research for Ran http://www.compare.dvdbeaver.com/.
Is this just speculation about a R1 Warner edition, or do you know something?
Agreed Throne of Blood is a classic. Macbeth is an awesome story - my favourite Shakespear play.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom