Ran 4K Blu-ray Review & Comments

Mark Costello

Distinguished Member
Cheers both.

My first watch of this left me all kinds of cold - its a lot more measured than AK's other period classics and that clash of the theatrical and the massively cinematic jarred previously. This time though it just clicked - I don't think any second half of any film could really have maintained the pace after that stunning mid-film castle siege but in the end it didn't really matter.

Last edited:

MahaRaja

Seen this classic movie many times over the years on DVD and Blu-ray and now would rent the 4K version, when available. Don't like to own movies.

featherhall

Distinguished Member
I really want this. It’s a superb movie.
the wife will kill me

Mark Costello

Distinguished Member
So they just copy/pasted the 2016 master onto a 4K disc. How disappointing
Mostly yes. The DV/WCG grade does add a little more pop and depth to the image but only a side-by-side comparison showed this and even then you needed to look for it. But I can sort of understand why - the 2016 remaster was very good and given the artistic intent, which by all accounts wasn't to show a bright, sparkling image, you wouldn't want a profoundly different image.

Its really a release for those who don't have the 2016 release and want the absolute best in quality. But for those who already have that, unless you have unlimited funds, this isn't an easy upgrade recommendation........

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Mostly yes. The DV/WCG grade does add a little more pop and depth to the image but only a side-by-side comparison showed this and even then you needed to look for it. But I can sort of understand why - the 2016 remaster was very good and given the artistic intent, which by all accounts wasn't to show a bright, sparkling image, you wouldn't want a profoundly different image.

Its really a release for those who don't have the 2016 release and want the absolute best in quality. But for those who already have that, unless you have unlimited funds, this isn't an easy upgrade recommendation........
I almost pre-ordered this (I've had "access" to the 4k for a while) but I decided to wait for the reviews. I buy 4k or 3D, that's it. But after your review, I'm strongly leaning towards buying the blu-ray and not the 4K which is something I haven't done in years.

Mark Costello

Distinguished Member
Its such a shame that PJs can't do DV - watching Ran on the PJ was awesome.....but moving back inside to test out DV vs HDR10 and seeing that DV edges it just makes me wish I could get the best of both worlds.......the best image quality on the biggest screen instead of having to bloody choose.......first world problems and all............

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom