1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ramones....rocket from russia

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by karkus30, Oct 26, 2003.

1. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Just bought the re-issue version HMV (criminal cost), all on a mates recommendation, now this is great, great music, a band that I skipped over many times as an also ran in comparison to The Clash and The Pistols. Big mistake, its similar to dismissing The La's for Oasis, infact their stories are also similar, both lost out to the other band due to quirks of fate.

What sort of stuff, well its punk, but more like the Beach Boys meets the Sex Pistols. Simple, but elegant songs relying on four chords, rock and roll without the glitter, bare, stripped naked but easy and accessible as it is combined with pop sensibilities. Not a million miles away from the direction Nirvana took with the Grunge sound.

Great vocals, great band.

This is truly a 5 star album.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I have to agree that the Ramones are great, they had a much bigger impact in the US where they didn't have The Clash and the Sex Pistols.

I've always felt the Pistols to be very much second rate when compared to the other 2 I mentioned, and many other punk bands. I guess you had to be there...

3. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, Ramones are great......now go out and buy something by the New York Dolls and see where they got their influences from.......try Trash, Vietnamese Baby, Personality Crisis for starters.......damn fine NYC R.O.C.K without which P.U.N.K wouldn't have happened (that'll start a fight on here somewhere!)

Enjoy

4. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Help me..............Im trapped under a pile of punk cd's :rolleyes:

I shall have a look at The dolls etc...not promising that I will buy...

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    S**t ordered it by mistake, thats what I shall tell my wife :rotfl:

New York Dolls first album due for delivery December, Xmas just would'nt be Xmas without the odd Cd or fifty :rolleyes:

6. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    If you like Rocket to Russia then you really must buy Leave Home (their second album) as it's got to be one of the best punk albums ever. Ramones first album, Road to Ruin and It's Alive are all worth every penny as well.

R.I.P. JOEY AND DEE DEE

7. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    Got totally hooked on the Ramones in the late eighties .. I got hooked on punk as well as Depeche Mode ??? work that one out !

Early or late last year there was a tribute cd to the Ramones which stayed in my car cd player for months ....

Loved the raw energy of punk but hated the lo-fi shouty stuff.

Collected along the way

Stiff Little Fingers
    Generation X (Billy Idol)
    Buzzcocks
    Damned
    Souxsie and the Banshees - yea I know ..can never get the spelling right !

Plus lots of collections (specifically a CBGB collection)- with a few highlights I'll dig them out when I pick up my gear from storage next week.

Then later Green Day until the whole thing went commercial with bands like blink182 sum... & Good Charlotte etc Dont even f~kin get me started with Busted. Surfed a few of the new punk channels on SKY and there seems to be a load of kids shouting about get ditched at the local high school dance ... and stuff like that ... wot the F~uck !

Plus Stranglers and the Clash goes without saying !

Just getting into the Dead Kennedys - great stuff !

8. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Is that the "CBGB's & The Birth Of U.S. Punk" disc from a year or so ago. Great compilation and a nice introduction to the scene. Tracklisting for those interested :

1. I'm waiting for the man - The Velvet Underground and Nico
    2. Louie Louie - The Sonics
    3. Excuse, excuse - The Seeds
    4. Slip inside this house - The 13th Floor Elevators
    5. Trash - New York Dolls
    6. Tight Pants - Iggy and the Stooges
    7. Agitated - Electric Eels
    8. Speed queen - Suicide
    9. Heart of darkness - Pere Ubu
    10. Blank generation - Richard Hell and the Voidoids
    11. Friction - Television (live at CBGB's)
    12. I had too much to dream last night - Wayne County and the Electric Chairs
    13. Rip her to shreds - Blondie
    14. California uber alles - Dead Kennedys
    15. Sonic reducer - Dead Boys (Original mix)
    16. Judy is a punk - Ramones (Original demo '75)
    17. Born to lose - Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers
    18. Roadrunner (once)- Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers

Marvellous. btw, "Plastic Surgery Disasters" is one of my all time favourite record covers.

Oh, and regarding U.S. Punk, don't forget to follow the signpost for "Husker Du"....lest we forget.

And heading backwards, the Nuggets/Pebbles compilations are well worth checking out for a load 60s Garage-Rock bands (e.g. The Sonics, The 13th Floor Elevators, The Chocolate Watchband etc ) who gave rise to the essence of Punk-Rock.

You do what I do ? Go shopping for other peoples presents only to spend a small fortune on myself...

... Marvellous.

9. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    "CBGB's & The Birth Of U.S. Punk" - Thats the one ..
    These are absolutely cracking tracks >>
    3. Excuse, excuse - The Seeds
    4. Slip inside this house - The 13th Floor Elevators
    14. California uber alles - Dead Kennedys
    15. Sonic reducer - Dead Boys (Original mix)

Dont know which Dead Kennedy's album to get ?
    Might try and have a listen to Husker Du ... yea I know must have just slipped by somehow...

The CBGB cd sound great in the car , but something tells me that the quality would show itself up when played on my home system which always highlights poor quality recordings. Must dig out "Raticus Norviticus" by the Stranglers.

Always thought Offspring "Smash" album was good , but they never really delivered after that.

So who are the best punk ("style") bands around at the moment ?

The Hives
    Datsuns
    Libertines (only heard a couple)
    Strokes ( but thats pushing it really !)

Anybody else add to the list ? (without my cd collection to hand and a failing memory, not enough coffee yet this morning... )

10. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    All the Dead Kennedys albums are worth having but if you're just looking to buy one then 'Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables' has got to be the one.

As far as the best punk bands at the moment go the list is endless although you may want to start with easily available stuff by bands like Rancid and the Distillers (but maybe not the most recent album!) before checking out some of the smaller but equally great bands.

11. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Regarding tracks 3 and 4, you'd probably like the Nuggets compilation then. More details here but essentially its a compilation from 1965-1968 of bands who did little more than produce one stunning track before disappearing into obscurity.

I have the Nuggets boxset which Amazon used to sell for a reasonable £35. It really is fantastic - 80 tracks and hardly a duffer amongst them.

Follow Timmy C's advice...."Fresh Fruit..." or, failing that, the compilation "Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death"

I think "Candy Apple Grey" is decent starting place for Husker Du.

12. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Or New Day Rising

Or Flip Your Wig

Warehouse, songs and stories is probably most accesable.

13. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have never got into the album "Warehouse..." despite it always being the one recommended as a good starting point. I don't know - just something about it doesn't click. I hate the drum sound on it for one.

I've never met anyone who shares the same opinion, though. Everyone loves it and it's a critics favourite.

"Flip Your Wig" / "New Day Rising" are probably a little harder to pick up/more expensive than "Candy Apple Grey" as they're on the SST label and not Warners (?) but I do think "Candy..." is the best starting place.

Ultimately, though, "Zen Arcade" is my favourite. Just something about it.

14. ratso-rizzo

ratso-rizzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For me 'Zen Arcade' is the absolute daddy of them all. It was the first HD record I bought and I listened the whole way through with my jaw resting gently on my knees. Absolutely fantastic LP.

After that I went out and bought the 'Eight Miles High' single. I played it about twenty times in a row. Even to this day it brings tears of joy to my eyes.

As far as 'Candy Apple Gray' goes - I can take it or leave it. I thought it was half baked (though 'Hardly Getting Over It' is a sublime song), with watery production and a real disappointment after 'Zen Arcade', 'New Day Rising' and 'Flip Your Wig'.

'Warehouse' was a fine album to go out on - it probably could have been trimmed by a few songs but there are some absolute corkers on there: 'She's A Woman' (makes me smile like a demented clown), 'Ice Cold Ice', 'Could You Be The One', 'Up In The Air', 'Tell You Why Tomorrow' etc. etc.

If I had to pick a favourite HD song it might just be 'Diane'. Unfortunately though, I once heard the version by 'Therapy?'.:nono:

I'll probably get over it. Eventually.:D

Ratso

15. Nello

Nello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'm now gonna have to go and buy that CBGB's thing, and it sounds like I need to listen to Husker Du over the weekend. Cheers for the recommendations guys.

For a bit of decent modern punkrock have a look at stuff Sean McLusky puts out through Sonic Mook (www.sonicmook.co.uk) specifically the Hot Sh*t and Future Rock'n'Roll stuff. Not all of it's punk as you may imagine it, but he has the same ethos as the originals and there's some mighty fine stuff kicking about (and some cr*p, but you can't have it good all the time).

And his Hot Sh*t club nights rock if you're down in E London sometime.

16. PhilCTTE

PhilCTTE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    I don’t mind so much the lofi quality to some of the older punk stuff which sounds okay in the car, but I always get disappointed when buying compilations that the quality is so bad .. I just wish someone could either re-master some of the classics or perhaps re-record them which is where some tribute albums come into there own. The Ramones one for starters .. I believe that in the early nineties that there was a Dead Kennedys Tribute album … anyone heard it ? anygood ?

1. Police Truck - Didjits
    2. Too Drunk to **** - Evan Johns & His H-Bombs
    3. Halloween - Alice Donut
    4. Let's Lynch the Landlord - Faith No More
    5. Nazi Punks **** Off - Napalm Death
    6. Forward to Death - Nomeansno
    7. Chemical Warfare - Steel Pole Bath Tub
    8. Saturday Night Holocaust – Neurosis
    9. Moon over Marin - Les Thugs
    10. Ill in the Head - Victim's Family
    11. California Über Alles - The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy
    12. Winnebago Warrior - Mojo Nixon & The Toadliquors
    13. Drug Me – Sepultura
    14. Insight – Kramer
    15. Let's Lynch the Landlord - L7
    16. Holiday in Cambodia - Sister Double Happiness

Also compilations are okay, but you never get what the band are trying to get across unless you buy the originals … I’ve got a Ramones compilation that I’ve had for about 10 years and never bothered to get any of the originals ….

I’ll probably get

“Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables” Dead Kennedy’s

“Zen Arcade” Husker Du’s

“Leave Home” Ramones

cdnow.com have a deal for 17.72 for both Leave Home and Rocket to Russia.
    Cdnow seems to be a subsidery of Amazon but I can never find the same deals on Amazon.co.uk. Tesco’s even with their no vat deal is dearer, Cdwow don’t have the range only others are play247 and cd101.co.uk which all seem to be around the same….
    Ho hum … I must do some work this afternoon , after I’ve sobered up from the Fri pub lunch !!!

17. ratso-rizzo

ratso-rizzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

The CD you are referring to is called 'VIRUS 100'. It was on (DK vocalist) Jello Biafra's Alternative Tentacles label. The catalogue numbers for all AT releases were pre-fixed VIRUSxxx, so this CD was actually more an Alternative Tentacles tribute as opposed to a DKs tribute. All the songs were DKs songs covered by bands either signed to AT or closely associated with it. On the whole it's pretty good and is probably still available from www.alternativetentacles.com

If you like DKs you should check out Lard - basically late eighties / early nineties Ministry with Biafra on vocals. A sort of cyberpunk Plastic Surgery Disasters. IMHO it's the best thing Ministry have done (similar vein to 'Jesus Built My Hotrod') and the best thing Biafra has done since DKs finished.

HTH

Ratso:D

18. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Although there are a lot of punk bands around, most seem to have disappeared underground. There are exceptions, Rancid being one, but most dont stir the senses like bands from the past.
    McLusky is worth a listen, if only for 2 songs on the album (they are easy to figure out).

Cant say I regard, The Strokes or The Libertines as punk. The Datsuns are more pure rock as in Ac/Dc.

19. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Anyone into punk should try WASTED festival @ Camden Underworld, London, Sat 22 / Sun 23 November 2003 or Morecambe, Lancashire, 15 - 18 July 2004.
    See www.holidaysinthesun.net
    Rancid were great at Manchester last month, Dead Kennedys played Blackpool last year, not quite same sans Jello Biafra but definitely worth seeing.
    The Exploited / Total Chaos riots in Montreal recently.... PUNK'S NOT DEAD, oh yeah...
    Many punk bands touring pub circuit with really strong fanbase, check out The Business, UK Subs, The Damned, Red London, Anti-Nowhere League, Dropkick Murphys, Eastfield, Stiff Little Fingers, Bouncing Souls, Stuntface, Guitar Gangsters, Rough Kutz, Peter And The Test Tube Babies, The Lurkers, loads more..... :)

20. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Gringotts any chance of a full list with styles of Punk played ??

Apart from bands like SLF, its rare anyone gets the chance to listen to the rest, unless your from a major city :rolleyes: .

21. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Briefly:
    *The Damned - "pure" punk (they released the first ever punk single - New Rose)
    *UK Subs - pretty much the same
    *Dropkick Murphys - Gaelic punk (loud and fun)
    *Bouncing Souls - fun american punk

Also worth checking out (amongst the others listed and no doubt others as well):
    *4ft Fingers - British beer punk
    *Capdown - hardcore/ska

plenty of other bands from America but they're not often over here

22. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    karkus,
    Couldn't argue with eviljohn2 at all.

....have to get back to you about the others, will post some links at week-end too. :)

23. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
  24. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Brilliant Gringotts, looks like a lot of hard work. Theres a few I recognise Angelic Upstarts and Sham 69.

25. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,958
    I'm waiting for Slaughter And The Dogs to make a comeback - I still play "where have all the boot boys gone" at full volume :D

26. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    They play Holidays In The Sun festivals, that song is always a highlight of the week-end. :clap:

27. puddleduck

puddleduck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    If anybody is looking to pick up DK's "Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables" look for the bonus disc edition, as it also contains:

-Holiday in Cambodia [Single Version]
    -Police Truck
    -Kill the Poor [Single Remix]
    -In-Sight
    -Too Drunk to F***
    -Prey

28. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    Worth buying for ' In-Sight' alone. It's one of the best DK songs ever. Is it the same version that was on 'Give me Convenience...'?

29. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,958
    Just bought Eater - The Eater Chronicles - takes me back to my youth :)