Rambo Trilogy (HD dvd)

Glenn01

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Recently viewed the Rambo trilogy on HD dvd & thought they were excellent transfers, Rambo 3 in particular.

The HD picture and dts sound quality on all 3 movies was very good and certainly warrant replacing Standard-Def versions.

As with most HD transfers, the image quality brings out background detail in particular with clarity just not seen before and close up shots are really sharp.

Anyone who likes these movies and are considering them on HD should certainly look to get hold of them.

... just need Rambo 4 now :)

I agree entirely. I watched the UK versions of First Blood and Rambo a couple of weeks ago, but was a bit dubious having read some less than positive reviews of the image quality of the French disks. However, I really was surprised and impressed with the picture.

I was expecting very little from First Blood and even though fine detail isn't up to modern film levels, it was still a vast improvement overe the sd versions. The big thing for me is that I could tell I was watching a hd version - increased detail, no edge enhancement, strong colours.

As for the opening scenes of Rambo, in the prison quarry - :eek:. This actually looked like it was filmed yesterday. So clear and the detail on show was very impressive.

I am getting more impressed with watching older films in hd than the modern ones as the difference between the hd and sd versions is like night and day when its done well. If anyone is umming an arring over whether or not to pick these up because of the av quality, don't hesitate.

Of course all of the above is just my own opinion..........:D

Mark

Thats spot on Mark.

Yeah when you consider First Blood is now 25 years old and the other 2 not too far behind, I think you are right in that sometimes you are more impressed seeing "older" films on the HD format that perhaps some of the newer films.

Its great seeing all the detail come out that wasn't quite so noticeable before.

Also at the beginning of Rambo 3 when he's ontop of the pagoda, the clarity is outstanding.

The Rambo movie's are cracking action films and with no cgi, the old school effects look great in HD.

I bought the Reg.2 versions of First Blood and Part 2, but could only find the French version of Rambo 3 - from Movietyme.

All 3 versions were excellent and I was glad that "3" had the original artwork on the cover (AND) the bow was not removed, as was the case for previous artwork in the UK !

Not sure how the Blu ray version of First Blood compares with the HD version, or how the UK versions compare with the French though.

No doubt when Rambo 4 eventually makes its way to HD / Bly Ray, there will be a 4 film box set :)

Glenn01, cheers - glad it wasn't just me who's getting strange looks from his mates when I'm showing them my shiny new HD and BD players and putting on the Adventures of Robin Hood from 1938 and not The Matrix :D Well, ok The Matrix comes out at some point................

Sad as I am, I waited for the UK releases as I'm v fussy about the french covers (did the same thing with T2), so I'm still waiting for Rambo 3, although if its anything like the transfers for the first two, I'm in for a treat.

I remember first being allowed to watch Rambo on video as a treat for passing my big school entrance exams (in 1986, at the tender age of 11! Gawd bless my parents:smashin:) and thinking I'd never seen anything like it before. When they arrived a few weeks ago, I was worried that it would be yet another childhood memory tarnished (Thundercats on DVD? The Flumps???? The Goodies????????????). But I was still really impressed with them both.

Bring on Rambo 4 I say :thumbsup:

Mark

Just to say I agree about the quality, very impressed with the PQ and AQ of Rambo 1&2.

I also waited for the UK versions so hopefully Rambo 3 won't be far behind :thumbsup:

Seriously ... you guys should not wait for the UK versions of Rambo 3.

The UK covers are a bit naff to be honest and the French version avaialble from Movietyme.com has the original artwork and the dvd is region free of course so no coding issues.

The picture and audio on this version are top notch and if anything better than the UK versions of 1 & 2.

Complete your trilogies now without further delay and view Rambo 3 in glorious HD :cool:

Plus, who knows how long you could be waiting for R3 as an official UK release ?

Rmabo 4 looks like it will be very cool, but TOTALLY removed from the 3 previous films, it looks brutal and extremely violent, but I am sure Sly knows what he is doing.

Rocky Balboa proved to be a great hit and I fully expect Rambo 4 to be successful too - however, it may not have the same mainstream success as Rambo appeals to perhaps a smaller audience.

One things for Sure, Sly insisted that RB was shot in HD and hopefully the same will be for R4, so it should look amazing on our home screens :smashin:

Infact if you haven't done already, check out the review of RAMBO 3 on this site (AVPLAY)

The artwork is also shown and it scores highly by the reviewer too, especially regarding the picture quality.

I am tempted but the main reason for me buying from the UK was to support the home market for once (as only about 10% of my collection has been purchased from the UK).

Besides, now I've got the English 1&2 versions, I want the rest to match :)

Better quality? I thought the UK & French releases shared the exact same discs & encodes.

having obtained my copies of all the HD-DVD Rambo films (AUS versions) from axelmusic way way back in April i can assure every one that these are the superior encoded versions.

Haven't seen the Rambo films in HD (yet) but watched Mad Max 2 recently in HD and the PQ was excellent. (not so the sound)
No CGI, no post production lighting enhancements etc, just raw 35mm, natural looking lighting, proper stunts, real car chases and just a damn good film :thumbsup:

I haven't seen the Rambo HDs either. Like others in this thread I've been put off by poor reviews but wouldn't mind seeing the first one. My first HD wow moment was with Enter The Dragon. Nice to hear the comments on the old Robin Hood film. I read somewhere that there was to be a US BD release of Fritz Lang's Metropolis. A decent HD version of this should be something to behold

Cheers
Bri

I am tempted but the main reason for me buying from the UK was to support the home market for once (as only about 10% of my collection has been purchased from the UK).

Besides, now I've got the English 1&2 versions, I want the rest to match :)

Better quality? I thought the UK & French releases shared the exact same discs & encodes.

The versions may be the same BUT ... as there is no UK release of Rambo 3 to compare we won't know this for a while.

But the R3 HD dvd is an excellent transfer.

As for buying discs in the UK, I am all for this, but not when the likes of HMV try to sell you discs for anything up to £30 :eek:

I was in HMV at the weekend and could not believe they were selling Rocky Balboa on Blu ray for £30 notes

There are no discounted titles at all yet, whereas the likes of Movieytyme have titles for just over a £tenner ... I picked up Black Rain recently in their sale - spec edition version too :smashin:

The only discs I will buy consistantly from the home market are blu-ray ... but thats purely down to the region coding.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom