Rambo: Last Blood Review & Comments

Just got out of the pictures. I thought this was great and a lot better than the last Rambo.
the story was different and the second half was very very Rambo.
The kills are brutal and I’m glad Stallone has put in this movie to show everyone he’s still the king of the action movies.

The film appears to be getting slated on the web ... yet the over ruling feeling on here is that is it is a satisfying film and a 'reasonable to great' addition to the franchise - depending on your take on the film and fan level of Sly & Rambo ... I am intrigued to see it tonight and gauge my own view :smashin:

Went through a Rambo movie marathon at the weekend, re-watching all of the previous four movies in the franchise including the 2008 movie twice (Theatrical Cut followed immediately afterwards by the Extended Cut) in preparation for Last Blood which I watched on the opening day yesterday lunchtime.

I'd rate this as the weakest in the franchise, not because it is terrible but because I preferred other instalments more. The second and third movies, whilst cheesy, are still my favourites.

This latest instalment has a reasonable plot and spends the first half of the movie giving enough backstory about the characters to make you want to care about them. The graphic violence provides what it says on the tin (certificate 18 in the UK) but it felt more like a slasher horror movie than a Rambo movie to me. Gone are the long hair, bandana and bare chest. Whilst I appreciate Stallone is 73 now, he chose to continue making Rambo movies and as such I'd expect it to feel like one and this did not for me. It could have easily have been given a different title and considered a movie in a similar mould to the Taken movies.

Last edited:
Is this the one where he decimates Werthing with an M2 Browning mounted on a mobility scooter?
While Shouting "Get off my lawn!"?

Stallone is an inspirational man. To be in the shape he's in at his age is staggering. Massive respect for his discipline and work ethic when he could have put his feet up 30 years ago.

@Casimir Harlow @raigraphixs
@richp007 @lucasisking
@bruce-leroy @Rambo John J

Ok Guys I’ve seen it & ....... 😬

Really enjoyed it 👍🏻👌🏻😀

I think I had a good idea what to expect from Cas’s review & all the comments on here which were spot on the mark 👍🏻

Yes it was a tad low budget - but it was played out on a way which hid this well.

The violence OMG it was brutal wasn’t it .. but played out in a way you feel it’s deserving.

The knives were awesome 😎
The bow ‘elements’ were brilliant 🃏😉
John J was in full on ‘Taken on Steroids’ mode ... no messing straight from the off 😮😮

I was able to listen to the score by Tyler and there were a few tracks in there which I liked & he linked in some cues from all the previous 4 films too ... but the last track closing the film was best 😎

So yes I am satisfied .... I thoroughly enjoyed it - but I think I always was going to as Rambo is my fave film character full stop.

It genuinely felt like it played out in a way that John J of 73 years would play it ... no nonsense / no messing / minimal questions & execute brutal justice !

As much as I would love to give it a 9 or even 10 of course I can’t ... but I am gonna stretch to a 8.9 (in context of what the film was).

That’s my initial thoughts ... now I need to digest it properly ... but I do feel it holds its own in the franchise 👍🏻

Awesome ...

Reminds me a bit of Jerry Goldsmith's Total Recall.

Yes mate very similar vibe.
I think as Tyler took up the mantle from Goldsmith in Rambo 4 & blended some of Jerry’s scores with new tones for R4 this resulted in a Jerry esque score ... which I think is fitting to the films & composer.

I’ve just downloaded the new score & there are some cracking themes on there 😎👍🏻

This movie is getting raped by the critics... I stand by it’s a very good film.
Critics review films by it's "wokeness" these days instead of plot, characters, etc

This latest instalment has a reasonable plot and spends the first half of the movie giving enough backstory about the characters to make you want to care about them. The graphic violence provides what it says on the tin (certificate 18 in the UK) but it felt more like a slasher horror movie than a Rambo movie to me. Gone are the long hair, bandana and bare chest. Whilst I appreciate Stallone is 73 now, he chose to continue making Rambo movies and as such I'd expect it to feel like one and this did not for me. It could have easily have been given a different title and considered a movie in a similar mould to the Taken movies.

Good! They look ridiculous.

I see The Guardian are currently having a meltdown over this movie - Delicious!

I won't be seeing this in the Cinema but I'll definitely be buying it on 4K Blu-Ray.
The Woke Guardian you mean.:rotfl:

Saw this last night. So both the wife and I thought that there was something not very Rambo-ish about it. On the way home we both thought that it would have worked better as a chase movie.

Rambo should be lost in enemy territory, fighting his way out of it to get himself (and hostage/captive,etc) to safety.

I think he should have been able to rescue the niece much quicker and and the rest of the movie was them being hunted as they escaped Mexico with sporadic moments where Rambo takes them out with objects he finds lying about.

As for any claims that the film is xenophobic in its portrayal of Mexicans... Mexico is like any city/country. There's cool touristic parts then there's the dodgy violent parts.
if the niece went to a really nice part of Mexico to find her Dad but even after being turned down by him went to a nice bar, met some cool guys, there wouldn't be a movie.

Trainspotting paints Scotland in a bad light but I can forgive it because it highlights a truth.

Most people, critics, whatever, were always going to rip this apart. It's a bit different to the other films so it gets criticised for not being the same. If it was the same formula it would be taken apart for not doing something different. I don't mind them doing something different 5 films into a franchise.
As a fan from the first time we rented First Blood... I liked it. The recipe was different but I still got everything I expect and want from a Rambo film. It was basic but Rambo's always been a cinematic blunt instrument.
I'll watch it again. Many times

Rambo JJ you is the man !

Every time Rambo uses his bow it makes me want to take out mine and go to the range. But usually then I get distracted by food or something.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom