Rambo III; Special or Ultimate Edition??

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Xstyle, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    I have got the OOP versions of Rambo; First Blood Parts 1 & 2, which feature the rare DTS soundtracks... by Artisan Entertainment. See the detailed comparisons here...

I obviously want to complete the set and get the third installment... however, I'm unsure of which version to get?
    Artisan Entertainment R1 SPECIAL Edition with DTS?
    or
    Lions Gate Entertainment R1 ULTIMATE Edition with DD5.1 and including 8 deleted scenes and subtitles for the Russians?

I'm not sure which has the better pictures, as the comparison below says:

The new R1 "Ultimate Edition", offers the same good transfer as the R2 Japan, with a brand new commentary track, but it also lacks DTS and the extras on other releases

The BEST version to go for would be the R2 Japan version with full bitrate DTS sound (1536kbs)... however at £20 I deem it too expensive... and thats even if they will sell it seperately!??

:lease:

2. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the old editions with dts and to be brutally honest the dts offers very little, both Dolby 5.1 and the dts soundtracks were disappointing, if the new releases have a remixed Dolby 5.1 track then thats the way to go, don't get hung up on the dts.

I would love to know if the newer editions offer better pic quality and better sound ( especially sound as the remix on the special editions was a huge disappointment for me )

3. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    DVD Compare on Rambo 3

This suggests it's a new transfer?
    The conclusion of the comparison:
    R2 SE Japan for DTS and additional extras, and the new R1 "Ultimate Edition", which offers the same good transfer and a brand new commentary track, but it also lacks DTS and the extras on other releases.

4. Xstyle

Xstyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
  5. cityonfire

cityonfire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I to suggest the cheaper ultimate editions. Owning both i can say the sound is also slightly better. Not a massive difference but an improvement all the same