Rambo (Boxset) Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Chris McEneany
I’m a huge fan of Rambo – there’s no denying that, is there? But this boxset deserves to be on the shelf of any self-respecting movie collector, simply because it presents a movie phenomenon in-the-making and a character that has become a world-wide legend. The action gets progressively more OTT as the movies charge relentlessly onwards, and the character that Stallone brought so excitingly and movingly to life in First Blood becomes, in some eyes, a complete caricature and rallying-cry for Reaganomics and American patriotism – which is hugely ironic considering that Rambo’s kick-start was an anti-authoritarian stab in the kidneys – but remain, nevertheless, thunderously raucous and pulse-pounding entertainment of the big budget, high concept, who dares wins variety. Personally, I could never tire of these films – they capture not so much the politics and social mores of their respective eras as they do the pure wanton escapist fantasy that every hot-blooded kid – of any age – dreams of. The big guy who takes on all-comers, never backs down and just keeps on fighting and surviving no matter what gets thrown at him is a model for us all. We all want to be a hero and Stallone, even now, twenty years and numerous filmic flops after he made Rambo III, is still proving that it can be done no matter what your age with exultant returns to the two characters that made him an icon. Rocky may be equally as noble and heroic as Rambo, but whilst Balboa is apt to shrug his glum shoulders and tell his opponent to “Go for it” before taking a thorough beating, our Johnny would be picking the same guy’s teeth out of the strawberry jam he’d made of his head long before the first bell had rung.</p>This boxset is essential for fans of the series. It does seem a shame that Lionsgate didn’t place the fourth movie in here too, but I can still testify that they all look on the shelf together. Threadbare of meaningful extras apart from those found on First Blood, the presentations of all three movies is much better than I expected and they definitely prove to be a worthwhile upgrade from the SD versions that I have seen. An official 8 out of 10 for the full set - but you know the score ... unofficially, First Blood gets a devout 10, and for sheer dumb-fun and carnage, II and III get 9 and 8, respectively. A quiet night in? Not with this feller around.

”That Rambo guy … he’s on the loose again!”
Read the full review...

I bought First Blood Part II and in all honesty the audio was really bad!

Dialouge was not brilliant, the action scenes were far to quiet (and the bass far too high, it overpowered everything!) and the surrounds really did not seem to come into play at all:eek:

However the PQ was very good with great black levels, i was very impressed with this:cool:

It is just a shame that if i come to watch it again i will need to calibrate my sound system to the film as it was honestly the worst thing i have ever heard:rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom