1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ram

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by meva, Apr 19, 2002.

1. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Everyone is always so helpful on this forum so I am hoping someone can answer this. I recently put another 256 megs of ram in my computer which seems to have made very little difference to anything. When I go into system information in programs-accessories etc it tells me I have 320 meg of physical memory but usually only about 60 to 80 megs of available memory. Why is this? My computer always ran pretty happily with just 64 megs of memory with virtually the same programs running. What is eating up all that memory? My computer is crashing frequently at the moment and I was wondering if this is something to do with it.Any help greatly appreciated , thanks.

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    What OS are you using?

3. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    windows ME

4. Cam

Cam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Windows ME was Bill Gates banker just in case the Millenium bug didn't get us! ME has some major problems that have still not been addressed and my advice would be to change to 2000 or XP....even 98se is better!

Cam

5. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do ctrl/alt/delete to find out how many programs you are using at the moment - disable all the ones you dont need in system config utility (startup bit)

make sure your hard disk is defragged

i`ve got win 98 and only have explorer and systray running after startup.....

has your system started crashing after installing a certain program? if so uninstall it and look for driver updates etc for your hardware....(graphics/sound card/direct x etc)

i`ve got a lot of people at work who use me with no probs, so dont waste your money upgrading the os to fix a software prob......
    it probably would cure it just doing a fresh install of me, but this is a last resort...

has it only started crashing after fitting your ram? - dodgy ram?

pcs are always going wrong for silly but obvious(once you`ve found them) probs

btw the reason you only get 80meg etc free ram is cos your pc uses available ram before using virtual memory on your hard disk, when you had 64 meg ram, windows just used the hard drive for the rest instead of ram.....

hth
    rob

6. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks. I think it could be the Gravis joypad driver I installed that is mucking me up. I've had probs with their software before.

7. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,563
    more RAM will not make your machine quicker, unless your PC needs it.

so there's no point installed 512mb, if you only ever use no more than 128mb.

Usually only people who use graphics, audio / video editing, will need more than 512mb of RAM

As virtual memory is 100 times slower than "real" RAM, virtual RAM is used when your PC runs out of "real" RAM