RAM > to TMPG > DVD Shrink... will it work?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jules, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    I almost bought a Panasonic DMRE85 today to replace my E60.
    I basically wanted the ability to record lots of stuff in XP mode first, then squeeze about 2 or 3 hours worth on a DVD-R in FR mode.... pretty much what everyone does with these things.

But hang on a minute I thought.... Can I not record each episode in XP mode to DVD-RAM, edit in TMPG on the PC to create a huge DVD image, and THEN open the image in DVD Shrink to squeeze it back to around 4.4GB before burning.

I may still choose to buy a DMRE85 if this is not possible, but it sounds like a good idea to me... anybody tried it? Will it work?

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    I have tried several times to read TMPGEnc DVD Authored files into DVD Shrink and it keeps coming up with the fatal error "Unable to Decrypt VOBs"

Edit:

I just downloaded the latest version (3.2) of DVD Shrink and it's now quite happy to work on these files. :clap:

So the answer is yes.

3. JFBUK

JFBUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This may be a stupid question but I'm a newbie so please make allowances.
    What is the advantage of re-encoding using this technique versus using the standalone recorder ?
    If it produces a better quality result then why ?

Thanks

4. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    I don't think either method is necessarily going to give better quality.

If you are lucky enough to own a DVD recorder with built in Hard Disk Drive like the E85 you can edit programmes on the HDD then compress and compile them onto DVD-R, choosing the right balance between quality and quantity as you wish.

I record on an E60 DVD recorder and then use the PC drive to read its RAM discs which can then be authored/shrunk and burned to DVD.

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    The best method to do what the original poster wants to do is to do your calculations and use the Flexible Record option as discussed (at some length) in the PC GUIDE (scroll down to post #5). This avoids ANY re-encoding and thus is the best all round option.

However if you are unware of a programmes length then the best budget re-encoding is, IMHO, TMPG Enc 3Xpress. This allows direct imports of VRO (DVD-RAM) video and will re-encode using a 2pass system to whatever settings you opt for. You can then import into TMPG Enc Author and burn to DVD-R. This will produce MUCH better results than DVD shrink!

6. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    Thanks for your replies.

Well I tried it and it didn't work :thumbsdow .
    For some reason, DVD Shrink wouldn't let me compress sufficiently to fit a single DVD-R... even though it was only around 3 hours long.

So, at the last moment of the afternoon.... I thought 'what the hell' and rushed out to RicherSounds and bought an E85 for £428 (multi-region) with a few free DVD-Rs chucked in for free. :thumbsup:

I guess I need to sell my 12 month old E60 now.