1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RAM to -R on PC

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Jules, Oct 9, 2003.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    My bargain Panasonic DMRE50 (£237) has now been in use for about a week, and I've made some recordings on the supplied RAM disc.
    I have an LG DVD-Rom drive on my PC that will read DVD RAM discs. I also have a Pio 106 DVD burner on my PC, and I'd like to make a DVD-R compatible disc from the contents of the RAM disc without losing quality.
    How do I do this?

I'm guessing I can't just pop a blank DVD-R in and make a straight copy in Nero express ?? So can it be done an other way without re-encoding? (I really don't know anything about a DVD's file structure).

If not, I'd consider getting another cheap Panasonic DVD player (£70 ish from RS) that I can use to play back the RAM disc directly into the DMRE50. But obviously I rather not have to do this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ta.

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,835
    You need software like TMPGenc DVD author 1.5. It will read the RAM discs and create standard DVD files that can then be recorded onto a blank DVD. I use a LG DVD super writer with it.

RAM disc are in VRO format. You can copy the files onto the hard disc and let the software read it off the hard disc or read the disc directly, it is slower though.

Editing such as chapters and video removal can be done. A menu will also be created that can be customised.

There is no loss of quality.

There is a 30 day trial available at -

www.pegasys-inc.com

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Not sure your Cheap Panny from RS idea would work check specs before you buy!

4. fozzybear

fozzybear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recording from a Panny dvd player into the recorder would work, but you'd lose quality through the process.

I'd recommend the same as nwgarratt: get a copy of DVD Author and do the transfer to dvd-r on your pc. I do this for any recordings I need to edit and it works very well - I don't do any editing on the E50 at all, just put in marker points where I want to edit (so it's easier to find the right places in DVD Author) then read the RAM into DVD Author. Then it's just a case of editing out adverts and so on, putting in any chapter marks that I want, making up a menu and getting an output to dvd video standard folders. Then just use the supplied writing software (or nero or whatever) to burn the files to dvd-r. Works a treat and is cheaper than buying another dvd player.

Also, transferring a recording by playing from a dvd player into the recorder via scart means that if you want to transfer a disc that's got 6 hours of various recordings on it (an EP recording of 6 episodes of the Sweeney, say :) ) it will take 6 hours to do and you'll just get one recording unless you sit with it and start and stop the recorder as needed. Editing and copying is much, much easier and less time consuming (and more accurate) on a pc.

5. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    Thanks for your help guys.