Question Ram slots not working on new build?

GreyMutton

Hi all,

So I've just got my new rig up and running today but have an issue as it will not boot with both ram sticks installed.
Mobo is MSI B550m MAG Mortar WiFi
CPU Ryzen 3700x
RAM is Team Force Vulcan Z 2x16gb sticks

I installed the sticks in the A2 and B2 slots as recommended but the DRAM error LED shows on the mobo and it won't boot.

Checked the QVL list, no issues.

If I leave one stick installed in either A1 or A2 it will boot but not in B1 or B2. Or any combination thereof which includes either of the B slots.

I also tried each stick at a time to ensure it wasn't faulty.

I've updated the BIOS to the latest version.

Also tried enabling xmp with one stick, turn off and installed the 2nd stick in B2. Nothing has worked.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Desperately trying to avoid having to dismantle this and RMA the Mobo....

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
The only other suggestion is to reseat the CPU if you haven't already as that's what makes the connection with the ram.

munkay

Take the CPU out and check the socket to see if any of the pins are slightly misaligned.

I recently had the exact same thing with a brand new motherboard. I tried everything - and only when I looked using my phone camera on zoom, did I see a couple of the pins seemed to overlap. I have no idea how this happened, as I was extremely careful installing it - and have done several times before with different PCs etc. I have read that they can sometimes arrive like this - and given the isolated location, it seems that way.

I bought a replacement motherboard, checked before installing and it all booted up first time with 4x16gb of RAM as hoped. Just away to RMA the first board and expect to have a debate about it... God bless AMEX Platinum for these situations!

You have my sympathy - It's a total PITA as it means uninstalling absolutely everything. On the plus side, it is always WAY quick to build again the second time.

Good luck :smashin:

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
Take the CPU out and check the socket to see if any of the pins are slightly misaligned.

I recently had the exact same thing with a brand new motherboard. I tried everything - and only when I looked using my phone camera on zoom, did I see a couple of the pins seemed to overlap. I have no idea how this happened, as I was extremely careful installing it - and have done several times before with different PCs etc. I have read that they can sometimes arrive like this - and given the isolated location, it seems that way.

I bought a replacement motherboard, checked before installing and it all booted up first time with 4x16gb of RAM as hoped. Just away to RMA the first board and expect to have a debate about it... God bless AMEX Platinum for these situations!

You have my sympathy - It's a total PITA as it means uninstalling absolutely everything. On the plus side, it is always WAY quick to build again the second time.

Good luck :smashin:
Not really a complete install as OP is running Ryzen and the pins are in the CPU ;)

GreyMutton

Thanks, I'm going to reseat the CPU again this week to see if it helps. Was yours an AMD CPU?
Hoping this works...

munkay

ah OK, sorry - mine was a z490m with 10700k. Just sounded frustratingly similar!

Been a while since I built anything with AMD - just check the pins then

munkay

Thanks, I'm going to reseat the CPU again this week to see if it helps. Was yours an AMD CPU?
Hoping this works...
Def worth the reseat though - and see how the cpu surface looks, you should be able to tell how good the contact was by the thermal compound pattern left. (unless AMD are entirely different again in this way!)

GreyMutton

Forgot to post here. You were absolutely right, reseating the CPU fixed it.
First AMD build so every day's a school day. Thanks again for your help :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom