RAM question......

cabbie19

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, due to an unexpected windfall i'm thinking of upgrading my motherboard to an ASRock Z68 extreme7 Gen3, i will keep my i5 2500k and existing gpu.
I would appreciate advice on a GOOD set of 8gb or 16gb memory, what speed and timings (CAS) would maximise my o/c potential. Also what voltage would be best?
I currently use a Gellid Tranquillo cpu cooler, is there a better one, i cant go any taller than the Gellid's 153.3mm :confused:
Thanks all, jamie. :D

Last edited:
No replies....i'm surprised.....have you all fallen asleep?
anyway.....Bump :hiya:

Your board -

Dual Channel DDR3 memory technology
- 4 x DDR3 DIMM slots
- Supports DDR3 2133(OC)/1866(OC)/1600/1333/1066/800 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
- Max. capacity of system memory: 32GB*
- Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)

DDR3 SDRAM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From investigating further your board can run anything up to PC3-17066 and looks like max memory would be 16Gb.(Can't find any 8Gb modules to make 32Gb)
Components » Memory » DDR3 Dual-Channel - PC3-14400+ - Overclockers UK

Last edited:
Faster RAM makes next to no noticable improvement in performance when overclocking with Sandy Bridge. Get the cheapest reputable branded 2x4GB set or reuse your current stuff. You won't notice any difference.

Faster RAM makes next to no noticable improvement in performance when overclocking with Sandy Bridge. Get the cheapest reputable branded 2x4GB set or reuse your current stuff. You won't notice any difference.

I was hoping you would reply as i respect your advice highly after the help with my first build, so 1600 mhz G-Skill ripjaws 1,5v would be good? does cl9 or cl8/7 make any difference?
Also, i don't game that much, but would like a solid upgradeable base, with that in mind which mobo?
1 Asrock Z68 extreme4 gen3
2 Asrock Z68 extreme7 gen3
3 Asrock fatal1ty pro gen3
they are my 3 current contenders, however you may prefer to add a recommendation of your own.

What overclock have your got at the moment with the Gelid Tranquillo?

Assuming it's the system in the sig, are you really using a CiT case??

Which Asus Z68 board do you have at the moment? Is it a Gen3 board?

Good review of memory with Sandy Bridge here.

If you're doing anything other than heavy multi-tasking - this goes for gamers in particular - then a 1,600MHz or 1,866MHz kit is plenty. You could opt for CL8, as we saw some advantage in the video encoding test, but we wouldn't obsess over this factor, especially if a CL9 kit is much cheaper.

What overclock have your got at the moment with the Gelid Tranquillo?

Assuming it's the system in the sig, are you really using a CiT case??

Which Asus Z68 board do you have at the moment? Is it a Gen3 board?

I am changing to i7 2600k or 2700k, my i5 is only running at 4.4Ghz with gellid. Current board is Asus P8Z68V-lx, good board, but no digi vrm control :(

Have bought vantage water cooling kit for new build.

Yes, it really is in a CiT case, but i bought an immaculate Coolermaster Cosmos case for £15 the other day for new build.
Will either sell sig rig, or break it......

thanks again Shadow
p.s. read that review last night....just wanted another opinion to be sure :)

Last edited:
Unless you really need hyperthreading I would stick with the i5 2500K. As for the CoolIT Vantage ALC Water Cooling Kit, it won't be that much better than the Gelid Tranquillo in all honesty. I would have gone for a Noctua NH-D14 or a Thermalright Silver Arrow. Best coolers on the market without getting a custom water loop. (Would mean you'd probably have to buy some low profile RAM though).

As for the motherboard, the Asrock Ftal1ty Pro Gen3 would be my pick of those above. Good review here.

Thanks, i have only gone for the vantage as i wanted more ram clearance, very happy with the Gellid's performance ( i think it was you who recommended it), so the vantage should do nicely :cool:
All your advice is much appreciated, thanks Shadow :smashin:

Fair enough I thought it'd be to do with the RAM clearance issue.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom