Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

RAM discs for £2.98

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by wellsi, Jan 17, 2003.

1. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Got an email from SVP comms, stating they've now got cartridgeless RAM discs for £2.98 inc vat. Ordered a few; will let you know how they perform...
    That price brings them into the realm of permanent film storage with all the extra editing features of RAM... Which would be good.

Their link

Cheers,

2. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    big pockets have them for under £2

3. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Where do they hide out...?

Cheers,

4. malcom

malcom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    wellsi. They are here. I have not yet purchase from them so I can't comment.

http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/

Had a quick look at there list but cannot see any cheap RAM disc. Please advise as to if I need an optition :D

Avland sell the "Panasonic" brand. A bulk purchase of 25 for £125. which is a respectable £5 each for a mainstream brand.

If SVP cheapo RAM discs are without problem! Then it's great news for the RAM format and DVD-R has a good chance of being ditched by me at any rate.:D

5. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they were there yesterday 20 for £19.99

they must have sold them all, what do you expect though at that price

keep checking back I am sure they will have more back soon enough

big are a great place to get cheap disks

6. yonderblue

yonderblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Had a reply on thedvdforums.com yep they are out of stock but currently sourcing more DVD-RAM Media and will inform when they are in stock.

7. Gordon WT

Gordon WT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I ordered a couple of the cheap RAM discs from SVP at lunchtime on Friday 16th Jan and they arrived first thing Saturday morning, 17th Jan, here in Inverness. I just used Royal Mail. The first time I bought discs from SVP I used a courier and paid extra....it took 3 days. One up for Royal Mail ;)

Anyway. The discs come unformatted and that takes a minute to do. They work every bit as well as the Panny ones so I would definitely order more.

Gordon

8. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Gordon,
    Have you watched anything recorded to fill the whole disk all the way through? I ask this because I too bought two Mirror RAM disks from SVP and recorded a two hour program yesterday on one. and watched it today .All was well until last 5 mins where it keeps hanging on my laptop RAM drive?

9. Gordon WT

Gordon WT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yes. I've recorded 2 hours worth a few times now with no problem playing back on the E30.

Unfortunately, I have no other RAM playing medium to check for the potential problem.

Gordon

10. PhilipL

PhilipL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Hi

Try doing a full-format on the DVD-RAM disc before first use. This gives the recorder chance to check the whole disc and mark any sectors bad so they are not used. At worst you might lose a few minutes of the total recording time but should get rid of the playback problems.

Regards

Philip

11. mentsugi

mentsugi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks for the info. I did format the RAM disks (I had two) beforehand as the Panny requested this. I have now used the second RAM disk I received from SVP the full two hours and it played no problem all the way through so I must have had a duff first disk (It did have slight scratches on its surface on arrival).
    Anyhow SVP take back duff disks and replace free of charge so all will be well.

12. wellsi

wellsi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I had the same problem the other day using a dvd-r; knowing I had 40 minutes left, the machine shut down after 20 minutes recording. When I switched it on again, it informed me there was no more disc space.
    A greasy thumb print right at the edge of the write-side was the reason; and interestingly, when I wiped the print away, there was a similar outline on the disc writing surface itself, where the player had not recorded info...

Seems the discs are mighty sensetive to a bit of grime...

CHeers