Ralph Breaks the Internet Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Phil Hinton, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,672
      • Thanks Thanks x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • List
    2. Goldorak

Goldorak
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,386
      Seen it today with my son and I give it a solid 8. I like the review but believe internet gave it new areas to explore.
      It is well made with a nice balance. I didn’t think one second about comparing to the first one as the story flows...

What was very interesting is how the internet world is translated...into an animation...
      Many hours later after seeing the movie, I am thinking they did a good job.

My son liked it and I did too. We felt much better than after that magical beast sequel for sure (even if 3D affects were superb for some scenes).

As a bonus, there is a moral to the movie which led to an interesting father son discussion after about ...(spolier)
      What more to ask :) Perhaps it is a 9 after all...

3. Ripsnorter

Ripsnorter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +359
      I would score this a solid 8 like Goldorak (as opposed to Cas' 7.99999999999) and as a sequel it pressed my buttons far more than the recent reincarnation of The Incredibles did. One of the film's great successes is the way it acknowledges that the internet can be way darker than just cute cat videos, so parents should be ready for any questions afterwards. The other thing to note is that it runs 112 minutes. It uses the length well and any drags and drops are brief, but fidgety kids might still find it too much. It's still worth sitting through, though, if only for the superb and totally meta (I think that might even mean something) mid-end-credit scene.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • List
    4. lucasisking

lucasisking
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +18,015
      Took my two (older) kids and while they seemed to like it, I was rather underwhelmed.

I thought the internet idea was really smart and took the franchise in a different direction to the first film, and they seemed to explore it fairly thoroughly. The theme of letting go and being independent is nicely done, I loved the Disney Princesses, and the car chase was great.

Why was I so bored through much of it then? I think its mainly down to a very uninspired script and some very weak humour. It also began to dawn on me that Ralph really isn't a very interesting or entertaining character. 6/10

5. Paul Smith

Paul Smith

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +196
      I watched this last night and definitely enjoyed it.
      As above I thought the internet side of it was a real fun twist, with many opportunities for lots of internet interpretation gags here and there. Also found the Disney parts very entertaining.:)

Unfortunately it got a bit too fixated in the second part for me and lost a lot of the excitement of the 'new' internet first half. Seems like the writers became obsessed with the subject of friends and friendship, to the point it felt like they were ramming it down my throat.

So overall not quite as good as the first film.
      For the first half I actually thought it was better, but because it dragged a bit in the end and lost a lot of it's sparkle it brought it down for me.
      Still well worth a watch though! 7/10

6. Shadow Blossom

Shadow Blossom
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2
      I watched it on Saturday night and I did find it amusing. I wouldn't even begin to compare it to the first one as they had very different stories.

I liked their concept of the internet, and gave a good interpretation of it, particularly when we live in a technology obsessed world. The film had some good morals which is expected of a children's film. The way other films were linked in was particularly clever, and the ending was a nice touch.

I thought there could have been more humour and some jokes have been overused in the past. It lagged in parts and needed to get on with the story a bit quicker.

The characters and interpretation of the internet made the film good and enjoyable, would rate it higher if the plot was better and wasn't slow in places. 7/10

7. Giburrows

Giburrows

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +160
      I wish Ralph would tackle Micro-Transactions.

8. Skull n Bones

Skull n Bones

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +869
      Thanks Cas, loved the first and been looking forward to this, but no 3D screenings anywhere nearby means long wait for blu ray ahead.