• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Rakuten TV and IMAX Enhanced - audio problems

PKblue

Has anyone with a compatible Sony TV (I have an AG9) used Rakuten TV to check out IMAX Enhanced films?
They only have a handful at the moment.

If so can you confirm if you are getting "IMAX DTS" audio in the films (or even just DTS signal)?
I am only getting a DolbyDigital signal (DD+) from the IMAX Enhanced films.
However, the Spider-man: Far From Home trailer plays in IMAX DTS (none of the other trailers do though)

I have reported this to Rakuten but am really curious if it works for other people or not (or whether it's just another Sony random glitch etc).

PK

ijbsaddler

Standard Member
Hi, I have just bought an imax enhanced TV and have encountered the same issue....just seeing DD+ on the Amp display. Did you get it sorted?

PKblue

I am in an ongoing conversation with their support team. They have re-done the audio track for Spider-Man: Homecoming which now plays in IMAX DTS, but they haven’t as yet fixed Far From Home which only gives DD+ (though the trailer is still in IMAX DTS). I will check again tomorrow and follow up with them. The Jumanji: Next Level trailer now also plays in IMAX DTS.

However, your receiver needs to support IMAX Enhanced to get the audio mode. I don’t believe your Denon AVR6400 supports this, unless you are now using a newer model?

PK

ijbsaddler

Standard Member
Thank you so much for your reply!
Yes I now have a Denon AVR-x6700 which is IMAX enhanced. I had guessed it was an issue with that particular film, as I also bought The Walk which plays in IMAX. Do let me know if you hear from them again!
Thanks
Ian

PKblue

So after several continued email exchanges Rakuten were finally able to release a fix for Spider-man:Far From Home. Using the latest version of the app (4.1.2) I now get IMAX Enhanced audio for Far From Home (they had fixed Spider-man: Homecoming previously).

They are the only two films I have bought/tried, but presumably it should be ok for other films too - if not, raise a ticket with them.

There are still only a handful of IMAX Enhanced films on Rakuten TV (for compatible TVs) but Sony is planning on releasing a lot more. They do look and sound better than regular streamed films (in my opinion). Sony really need to open up the compatibility for this though. But if you have a top range recent Sony TV, it's worth checking out.

PK

PKblue

I get IMAX sound yes. But you need an IMAX Enhanced certified audio device to get IMAX sound. This is only offered on selected models across a range of brands. I don’t think any sound bars support this, including the Sony HT9ZF.

PK

Morden

Distinguished Member
I get IMAX sound yes. But you need an IMAX Enhanced certified audio device to get IMAX sound. This is only offered on selected models across a range of brands. I don’t think any sound bars support this, including the Sony HT9ZF.

PK

Thanks

Thats a pity, was hoping I would get this as my TV an xg9505 is a supported tv.

I suppose I can hope Sony apply a firmware update as the sb does support dts x.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom