Rako Dimmer Units

illingworth22

Has anyone here got any tips for doing the Magnet thing to a Rako Dimmer. I have tried on several units, in the dark with a iPhone for illumination I might add!
I just can't seem to get the magnet to send the unit into setup mode :confused: & :mad:

kevshed

not sure what you could be doing wrong.... the sensor is on the side, and usually - as you move the magnet about, the LED will illuminate when you find it... then you hold it in place.

Stupid question... but there is power to the unit right ? :)

the magnet location is poorly marked anyway - so its just as hard in daylight :) if thats any consolation

Kev

illingworth22

not sure what you could be doing wrong.... the sensor is on the side, and usually - as you move the magnet about, the LED will illuminate when you find it... then you hold it in place.

Stupid question... but there is power to the unit right ? :)

the magnet location is poorly marked anyway - so its just as hard in daylight :) if thats any consolation

Kev
They are all powered up and the lights fade up nicely...
In fact that is my problem, the wife is starting to complain that in order to turn on lights she has to get a chair to reach the main breaker. I can, as all the units must be set to "House 1" at least dim all the lights from the computer.

I was just wondering if there was a right way to hold or position the magnet!

kevshed

when i did mine, it was just a case of hanging the magnet over the side... didnt struggle too much, maybe you got a duff magnet ?? you tested it on a pan or something ?

illingworth22

when i did mine, it was just a case of hanging the magnet over the side... didnt struggle too much, maybe you got a duff magnet ?? you tested it on a pan or something ?
How strong dose the magnet have to be? It seems like a strange way to opperate the bloody things :rolleyes:

carlos the jack

There is another method to entering setup mode, if you take the lid off were the 240v in enters, there are a couple of jumper pins, short these out for a few secs and your in. Not as easy as the magnet but a sure fire way of entering setup mode.

Carl.

illingworth22

There is another method to entering setup mode, if you take the lid off were the 240v in enters, there are a couple of jumper pins, short these out for a few secs and your in. Not as easy as the magnet but a sure fire way of entering setup mode.

Carl.
Carl,

Is that the small cover which comes off with the 2 screws or the main cover on the body?
Also I bought 12 new 500 dimmers and some flo tube dimmers which were used! The guy who I bought them off said they needed to be re programmed as they are not being used as dimmers but instead used as plain ordinary switching units. Is this right? The mains is going in but not switching out???
Are you a Rako expert, may need some help setting up switches and my rooms/zones :) could be a pay pal pint or two in it :)

Last edited:

carlos the jack

The jumper pins are under the "Load" end small screw piece, it is actually labelled up on the sticker next to where it says magnet etc.

Carried out quite a few installs with various rako units etc.

If you have non dimmable ballasts on your flourys you would need a straight switching unit ie. RDS800C, this is a pure relay capable of switching upto 800Watts.

If your flourys ballasts are dimmable you need 1 of three different control methods, 0-10 v, Digital serial interface or Dali. these can only be used with dimable ballasts!!

Think you need to check the specific types of units you have purchased.

regards,

Carl

[Mod Comment: Please do not promote your company]

Last edited by a moderator:

illingworth22

The jumper pins are under the "Load" end small screw piece, it is actually labelled up on the sticker next to where it says magnet etc.

Carried out quite a few installs with various rako units etc.

If you have non dimmable ballasts on your flourys you would need a straight switching unit ie. RDS800C, this is a pure relay capable of switching upto 800Watts.

If your flourys ballasts are dimmable you need 1 of three different control methods, 0-10 v, Digital serial interface or Dali. these can only be used with dimable ballasts!!

Think you need to check the specific types of units you have purchased.

regards,

Carl
Carl,

I have 8 x RDF 800 units, the one with the Live & Neutral in on the same bank/terminal as the Neutral and Switched Live out. The other end is for 0-12v. These units I had planned to use as Switching On & Off Only units. I says in the booklet they can do this task! I Hope they are right?

carlos the jack

I dont think the RDF800 can be used as a standard relay type switch, its purely designed for dimming of analogue 1-10v fluorescents.

unless i am missing something i thinkyou have been misled/missold??

regards,

Carl

illingworth22

I dont think the RDF800 can be used as a standard relay type switch, its purely designed for dimming of analogue 1-10v fluorescents.

unless i am missing something i thinkyou have been misled/missold??

regards,

Carl
I am just Reading the spec sheet(http://www.setsquare.co.uk/files/RDF - USER.pdf), squinting as it's on the iPhone, and is says "RDF Series" it can be used for dimming 0-10v flo lighting and non dimmable loads. It is strange but one of the 5 is switching the light load on, but four are not lighting at all. I checked with my meter and 240 is going in but not getting switched out????

It also says that to put the Dimmer into setup you need to turn off power, connect link, power on and set address. Then power off, disconnect link and power back on.
[Edit] All Rako dimmers are in the loft and are easy to access :)

Last edited:

hornydragon

Please tell me you didn't install all the dimer units unprogrammed? take one out get some flex and a bulb and have a play in the light (a bigger magnet will help) First rule of lighting control installation "make sure the client can turn lights on and off to see" even if not in desired scenes never leave a property without usable light (recipe for being sued IMO) and while we go home and leave the client at the end of the day you can't..........Good luck

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom