Rake (Australian) - 5 series between 2010 - 2018 and available on Netflix in the U.K.

LexDiamond

I did a search and this show didn’t seem to have a thread on here so thought I would make one to see what other members thought of the show.

I began watching this in June as I got a new 3 month contract WFH and it involves a lot of running jobs and validating files. They warned me it might be boring and feel free to do whatever you want during this time (usually two hours a day) as my laptop cannot do anything else during the processing. So I was looking for something in the comedy world to watch. Had never heard of Rake but read the description and thought I would give it a go.

I was pleasantly surprised. It isn’t all out comedy. It is about a barrister called Cleaver Greene in New South Wales that has shady ethics and dealings. Has a cocaine habit, divorced, fallen in love with a call girl etc etc. It is character driven but not to the level of a Tony Soprano, Phil McNulty or Walter White. I found it for the most part superficial - not really about any revelations regarding Cleaver.

It’s a very well cast and acted show. It’s clever and witty but remains consistent throughout to the lead character and doesn’t try to steer him to far away from what you would realistically expect of someone like that. It begins with outlandish story lines and my one criticism would be that they have to carry on being more and more outlandish. But for the most part it is cleverly done and the storylines do benefit from some clever writing.

Well worth a watch if you are looking for something character driven that is clever but not too heavy.

encaser

Distinguished Member
It is pretty good. The earlier series and episodes in general were better overall and less grandiose in scale. Having said that, there are some corkers later on that have the squirm factor hitting the red zone - notably, the horny granny who moves in and blocked plumbing episodes.

LexDiamond

It is pretty good. The earlier series and episodes in general were better overall and less grandiose in scale. Having said that, there are some corkers later on that have the squirm factor hitting the red zone - notably, the horny granny who moves in and blocked plumbing episodes.

The old lady moving in and the blocked plumbing leading to what then happens from there were a great example of how well written and witty the show was.

Clem_Dye

Distinguished Member
Yes, binge watched this last year. The last series was running out of steam though. Pity that there isn’t more of this type of stuff available on the likes of Netflix, Amazon, etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom