1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raising Floorstanders

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by PFM, Jul 15, 2002.

1. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hello

My particular little problem is that I've recently moved into a new house and have set up my HC in the lounge. However the sofa obstructs the ideal place to position my speakers. So I'm looking to either purchase or build some plinths/stands to place them on.

The speakers are Acoustic Energy 109's (floor standers ~20kg each) and I need to raise them up about 40-45cm to clear the arm of the sofa. Otherwise the placement is to close for stereo imaging (currently 1.5m apart).

Has any one any ideas how/where I can purchase such Items or if I end up building them myself, are there any suggestions as to what would be the best materials to use?

Has anyone else encoutered the same/similar problem with raising floorstanders?

This will pave the way forward for a PJ, screen & new Sub so Im a bit keen to get this one sorted:D

2. CodeThief

CodeThief

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Can't you buy some short stands designed for floorstanders??? sure I've seen them somewhere. Try asking in a local hifi shop or something.

Dave

3. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thats what I'd hoped for but my local place didn't seem to know/have a clue.

Instead they suggested I change my speakers, so Im at a bit of a loss as I dont want to eat into my PJ budget.

I wondered if bricks may proide the answer or some form of MDF plinth, but I'm not sure about how the stucture may change the sound. :(

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I would look towards something solid: get yourself a nice granite or marble plinth / base made!

If that's too expensive I guess a flower pot coaster (?) will have to do ... :D