1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raising Floorstandars

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Mad Max, Jan 10, 2001.

1. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm about to buy a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 5's, with a Silver Center 10i. I auditioned them last Weekend, and they sound really detailed, with tight precise bass. They are the best thing I've heard for twice that budget. I only thing they need a little bass extension, but since I already own a REL Q100E I shouldn't notice it too much. I also compared them to the Silver 9 Top of the range, and even though they sound even better (More natural, and they do have better bass extension), twice the price doesn't justify the difference for me.

I have a question though... I find the Silver 5 a little small... For floorstanders I mean. I am thinking about putting them on small stands (15 to 20 Cm)(6-8 Inches), but I am wondering how much that will affect how they sound, since they were not designed to be on stands.

Any Original ideas for what I should use as Stands ?

------------------
    An adult is just a kid with expensive toys.

Rui

2. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks... that helps...

Now, what is the theoretical effect of having floor standers on stands ? (Appart from avoiding external vibration ?)

------------------

Rui

[This message has been edited by Mad Max (edited 10-01-2001).]

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I would go with the de-coupling thoery.
    Essentially a floorstander is a standmount, but in a much bigger enclosure.
    So stands should benefit them in the same way as a standmount.
    However, they will have been designed to be that particular shape and size, for such things as focus, imaging, stereo depth and so on. So in theory you'd be upsetting the original aim and changing the characteristics of the speaker.
    Personally, I'd go for the (quality) stand route.
    Try, if you have the cash stands from Mana Acoustics. They have tiers that you build upon (££££££££££££'s) but are claimed to be the very best.
    Or go DIY and build some.

------------------
    Douch!!......Wot's da madder, da CIA got you pushing too many penzils?

Work: www.hughes-tv.co.uk

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Atacama make stands for putting floorstanders on, They are about 6-10" high.
    Try their website. www.atacama-audio.co.uk

We can get them at work if you want any.

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'
    MiB 1997

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

5. Gary H

Gary H
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Mad Max,

Sorry to go a little 'off-topic' but I noticed you've auditioned the Monitor Audio Silver 9i's. Any comments about them ( over what you've already said ;-) ) ?

I'm considering them for double hi-fi/home cinema duty so would be interested in you opinion. I've listened to the Mission 782s and liked them but they need wall positioning and mine will 'have' to be placed 'in room' :-(

Also did you try the Silver Centre 12 ?

Cheers - Gary

------------------
    ( Never knowingly brief )

6. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I was at Fnac just before Christmas,, and they had both speakers (5 and 9) on demo. I had a long (almost 2 hours) audition, and the salesman was very helpfull (wonders never cease). The setup was exactly the same for both speakers.

The 9 series sound great... The biggest difference you can notice with the 5's is that the soundfield is much, much wider, and you can place the instrunents with ease. There is also a tighter and more defined bass on those (This probably contributing to the better soundfield experience).

I liked them a lot, but they are way out of my budget.

The Center 12 was on show last week, but I can't remember wich speakers were being shown with it. Alien Resurrection was on, (with a wrong aspect ratio on the Plasma Screen, making seagony weaver look awfully thin).
    The effect was brilliant though... Soundpreassure aking you feel those words coming at you, and definition making every detail come true... Lovely equipment !

Hope this helps, but you should really try to listen for yourself...

------------------

Rui

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130

8. Gary H

Gary H
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Mad Max,

Thanks for your reply.

I always demo all kit ( for as long as I can get away with :) ) but it's nice to know that you're on the right track before organising a lengthy audition.

Do the Silver 5s have a room positioning preference ? ie wall or free standing.

Cheers - Gary

------------------
    ( Never knowingly brief )

9. Mad Max

Mad Max

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gary,

I always seem to prefer speakers away from walls, but I'm not sure what the "right" setting is supposed to be... I guess I'll try both, when I get to buy them...

[​IMG] Mr D, being in Portugal, some "technical" terms are just unknown to me, not ever having needed or used them before [​IMG]. I still get the general Idea though, guessing you are refering to construction matherials [​IMG].

Could you explain what "dressed masonary blocks", "felt", "Evostick", "Paving slabs" are ?

Thanks

------------------

Rui