Raised my centre speaker....HUGE difference.....thoughts

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by k13 wjd, Feb 6, 2009.

1. k13 wjd

k13 wjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Hey folks, for those who dont know my specs, i have a sony str-dg820, powering 4x tannoy floorstanders + centre....and a tannoy 625 SUB.

I previously had my centre speaker sitting infront, and below, my 42" lcd.......and i though the system as a whole was very rounded, and i couldnt see past it.

Then, i got some inspiration.........that day i went out, and bought 3 metres of 3x25mm mild steel flatbar....and using the std vesa 600x400 mount holes, made a very simple mount for my centre channel. made up some 90 degree brackets, bolted it all toghether ( after some complex measurements, so that the speaker "floated"....i.e no gap)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Do excuse the loose cables, one is a spare speaker cable i was using, the other a 5m HDMI cable for the laptop.

I must say, there is a destinct difference in the overall experience, it LOOKS better....and sounds MUCH better.....i didnt think it would make that much of a difference, but no i think about it, the centre speaker was BELOW my ears, but all the other surround channels are at ear level......

Now, dialouge on films is clear and crisp, with the correct volume levels, and during gameplay ( COD4 PS3) high speed bullet passes across the front channels is much more effective...

So, if anyone was thinking of doing this....PLEASE do it !:clap::clap::clap::clap:

2. paulr2006

paulr2006
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,506
    I recently fitted my Kef IQ6 in this fassion but took a slightly different route; I made my "Shelf" up from MDF fixed to the Vesa mounts on the back of my Panel, I also angled the shelf around 5 degrees downwards at the front & must say it sounds much better than when it was lower down :smashin:

3. k13 wjd

k13 wjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    my tv leans forward at 7 degrees ! :smashin:

hence my speaker does too....

reason being is, to counteract glare, thats evident during daytime viewing......the sunlight comes into the room, reflects from my glass door onto the tv, and straight into my eyes.......7 degrees tilt fixed that !

4. bohane

bohane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    i use an acoustic energy aelite on wall speaker as my center and it is mounted just above the screen. and before that i had a monitor audio bronze center speaker and i had that mounted on a shelf just above the 32" lcd i had at the time, it looked realy good and was a huge improvement over having it lower down on a shelf in my old rack. i am a big fan of possitioning the center above the display, and would recomend trying it out to anyone as it may sound better than down low, it also frees up precious 'kit space' in the av rack/stand aswell ;)

andy

andy

5. k13 wjd

k13 wjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    i would have just mounted it on a shelf.....but that wasnt possible due to the distance from the wall to the tv, and the curtains.....

i would add, anyone making their own bracket/ mount........here's a peice of advice.

Buy some penny washers.....you'll need to get the bars a few mm away from the rear of the tv......other wise you'll start hearing strange rattling noises !

6. kennyhkw

kennyhkw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Awesome idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My TV is on top of my centre speaker jus now but i think this is the perfect solution and makes use of those VESA holes!

By penny washers do u mean tap washers? I think 2 of them per hole wud b perfect.

Oh what screws do i buy to mount it onto the tv?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  7. k13 wjd

k13 wjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    vesa std mounts require 4mm bolts, which is M6 metric, i used M6x18MM ( 18mm long) and they were perfect. tap washers are something different...penny washers is an old saying, its just a "BIG" washer....but with the correctly sized hole.....so you'll be able to get M6 Penny washers ( size of an old penny in times past ) reason for penny washers is so that any angled forces are spread out, rather than punching a washer sized hole in the back of your tv !

do look at my bracket though...that's properly designed.....ive seen people JUST use the top holes, and all manner of nasty things.......first thing to do is find out where the Centre of gravity.....i.e does your tv want to fall backwards or forwards....not that a centre speaker will make it fall over....but if it wants to go backwards....adding a speaker will make it worse.....and a small push from a retards hands could prove fatal....

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  8. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    Already got the T shirt:cool:

[​IMG]

9. k13 wjd

k13 wjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    ah.......my good friend the bike rider !

hows tricks......those bad boys run in yet ?

got any photo's of your bracket.......i'd like to compare...

K13 WJD loves:

The ducks, the clock, and the sub.

K13 WJD Dislikes:

The Xbox360 ( GET A PS3) COD5....its just NOT COD4 is it..............lastly.....covers..( but each to thier own on that)

later mate.

10. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    Hi, yes it is me.:thumbsup:

Hows are you doing, I like the bracket. Its almost the same but I went for a small speaker sized shelf on the top for the Tannoy FC.

Believe it or not, thats the only 360 with a real Sony badge on it:D. Well everything else is Sony and the PS3 is soo BLACK.

[​IMG]

Speaker grills - My kids who are old enough to know better seem to have an irresistable urge to touch the speaker cones.

11. k13 wjd

k13 wjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    are you trying to tell me YOU havent touched them?

lol......get a ps3 and paint it silver........i used to think the xbox360 was amazing.....but its microsoft......it only works like 6% of the time.......

12. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536

No, I haven't touched speaker cones for many years, the fascination wore off.:rotfl:

6% of the time :eek:, its worked 100% for 18 months (touch wood).

I am still waiting in vain for Sony to market a silver Blu-Ray S550. I think I may have a long wait.

Anyways, glad you like my toys. Here is the best one:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a81/WilliamYZF-R1/studio1a.jpg

Finally thanks again for the original link on HDUK, otherwise I wouldn't have a full complement of Tannoys at a bargain price.

13. k13 wjd

k13 wjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    i ran up against one of those at my local 1/4 mile last year in my road car......whooped his ass......380BHP....900kg....LSD......bikes are still better though

no hassles mate, glad you like them.

14. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    Wow, thats some road car, my R1 (standard)does the 1/4 in 10.2 secs with a terminal 141mph.

Back on topic:

Yes I love the speakers but the TS10 sub vibrates on mny concrete floor when it goes very LOW. I am currently looking for a suitably sized/weight black granite slab to sit on top - bit disappointed really with the TS10.

15. k13 wjd

k13 wjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Tip....go find a local company that makes fireplaces...and ask for a peice of granite.....it'll be much cheaper than buying it online !

i got mine for free, it was the wrong size for the guys fireplace !!!

I'm planning on selling my sub, and either building a monotube, or buying a rel quake......havent decided which ..

16. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    "Raised my centre speaker....HUGE difference.....thoughts"

As you've proved to yourself, the further you get a speaker from the floor and closer to ear level, the better they sound, because that's where they are supposed to be.

Full marks for lateral thinking and further more, doing something about it. In all the time I had an LCD (I don't have any sort of panel now), I never once thought of this incredibly logical solution.

Russell

17. k13 wjd

k13 wjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    thats me....logical through and through !

18. PulsarPilot

PulsarPilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    What is it, an Ultima, or a kit car of some sort?

Back on topic, I read somewhere that it is where the sound ends up, not where it started that is the most important thing i.e, make sure it is angled up/down correctly, any opinions on this?
    Good job btw.

Cheers, Dave.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  19. chrisgeary

chrisgeary

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Of course the larger your TV, the larger the gap between the bottom of it and the top. There must come a point where you need two centre speakers to centre the image in the vertical plane. Also, those photos above make it look like the centre is actually above ear level - surely your main speakers are at ear level? What happens when a car passes from left to right.. during its pass across the middle, it suddenly goes up a massive ramp and down again as the image is thrown up to the centre.

I have mine on top of my 28" CRT TV largely because I have no choice, but the ideal position would always be as close to the height of the main speakers as possible. But with the advent of really large TVs at affordable prices, perhaps we need two centre speakers instead ;)

20. k13 wjd

k13 wjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    i do see what your saying on that one fella......but as i said, it sound much better than it did when it was lower...

also, given that i have laminate flooring, surely there is reflection sooner when speaker is lower..............that make any sense ?

same goes for where the sound started/ended up......surely there is a psycological element of SEEING where the sound started........

thanks for the comments folks......and no, it wasnt an ultima, it was a C20LET powered corsa, with a quaife box....

21. bohane

bohane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    i agree with what you say about reflections, if the center speaker is down low then the sound Field emitted by the speaker is going to be reflected of the floor long before it gets to you, where as if the speaker is up higher up the sound Field is pushed right into the center of the room and this i believe also eliminates the 'sweet spot' syndrome, which i had a problem with before i moved the speaker up to above the display.

here is a crappy paint mock up that is neither good nor technical accurate, but you should get the idea:rotfl:

crappy speaker diagram....jpg

now i know That angles are not correct but this is the way i thought about it when i came up with moving the center speaker:smashin:

andy

22. k13 wjd

k13 wjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    what he said.:lesson:

the could be the difference that i am actaully hearing....1st rate sound, rather than reflected....

23. paulr2006

paulr2006
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,506
    Mine leans back slightly for the same reason!:)

24. k13 wjd

k13 wjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    a peice of wood, 1.5 mm thick......did the job for me !

25. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    Two speakers to create a central image? That'll never catch on.;)

@k13 wjd, have you tried not using the centre speaker at all? Given that you stereo fronts are so close to the TV, you may be surprised how well it works.

Russell

26. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,393
    Philistine! ;)

27. k13 wjd

k13 wjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    hmmmm..........are you suggesting that the 2 front surround channels, when combined, will create a centre channel effect?

I'll certainly give it a try.........

believe it or not, but i actaully have 2 centre speakers.....although one is an ornament.....it might go into the kitchen with a homemade amp.....

28. Meridius

Meridius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    hi all

i thought the centre had to be in line with the left and tight speaker to get the most from it i have got a couple of problems with my setup which i will post later with pics to get some help from you all

thanks

29. k13 wjd

k13 wjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    well, common sense would say its a good idea to have them fairly evenly spaced........

or do you mean in line on a vertical plane ?

30. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    When you are listening to stereo music, does the singer not appear dead centre between the speakers? They should and of course that image will be seemless matched to the left and right speakers. In an ideal world, switching the centre in in or out should be a virtually inaudible difference as it's only job is to lock the dialogue to the centre of the screen for people sitting off axis, whilst not sounding like a separate speaker.

In other words, three speakers across the front should sound just like a stereo pair.

Russell