Raised by Wolves Season 1 (HBOMax/Sky) TV Show Review & Comments

Andy3105

I was getting a serious Adam and Eve vibe and the ending kind of reinforces it for me but at the same time it's also WTF....!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

No spoilers but seriously WTF....!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

the_dude2

I was getting a serious Adam and Eve vibe and the ending kind of reinforces it for me but at the same time it's also WTF....!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

No spoilers but seriously WTF....!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Haha, WTF is exactly how I've been describing it to my mates.

@Casimir Harlow this ain't a 10! ;-) But I really did enjoy it, despite the last two episodes being totally WTF!!!

SmAShY

The ending is definitely a WTF moment, but not in a good way.

The neanderthal bit and the devolving was really cool, but then there's Mother giving birth to a giant serpent?!?! Ruined it for me......

Andy3105

The ending is definitely a WTF moment, but not in a good way.

The neanderthal bit and the devolving was really cool, but then there's Mother giving birth to a giant serpent?!?! Ruined it for me......

Yeah it was pretty damn weird, I assumed she gave birth to that planet's equivalent of Satan and then it got released in a forest (garden) so that's why I'm leaning towards the Adam and Eve stuff but overall I can't agree with Cas' 10/10 score.

The wholesale ripoff of the scenes from Prometheus was just lazy but it did have moments that were interesting amidst the malaise and oddness....

SmAShY

@Andy3105 I see where you're coming from, and I agree that it wasn't a 10 (not for me at least). I got some BSG vibes which to be fair, is never a bad thing!

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
I've not finished this yet (Episode 8 watched yesterday) but I think it's telling that I was recommending this to everyone after the first couple of episodes but now I'm wishing I hadn't

steviedr

Distinguished Member
So having lowered my expectations after reading comments on here I thought it wasn’t bad. I’m quite intrigued to see what happens next (if it gets made).
It did feel like they had a strict budget, without greenscreen it may have looked like Dr Who from the 80’s.

Sky Q pq was fine, a few dodgy sfx but but fine. UHD would have been nice given the darker sequences with glistening snow..

There are some very interesting ideas, the leads did a decent job. Two members of the cast are Irish (and star in a very good low budget film 4 film on Netflix - Calm with horses), it did annoy me when one of their their American accents kept drifting over to their own, not quite Yeee Harrr ... to be sure but annoying all the same.

7/10 for me...now, I will need to try the expanse again, only managed a few eps of season 1.

Jules Tohpipi

Wish I had stuck to my instincts and given up halfway through. Don't get me wrong, I like story-driven sci-fi and the world building was good. But from the open credits onwards it had the tone of that dreadful 2016 Mars TV show - in the sense of there being zero laughs, overly earnest, and an empty slog lacking the gravitas it so thought it had.

I also got the impression that, whilst not being an Aliens-related story, he nonetheless couldn't park some of his favourite Alien visual themes - not least in the last three minutes of the final episode - and that distracted from the standalone nature of this story.

It beats a Marvel film, and there were elements of a master at work, but only faith got me to the end.

Last edited:

richp007

Distinguished Member
Well I boxed this off the other night. Looks like it's me and Cas against the world then on this one :laugh:

It was a bit slow at times, however I think it told a pretty good story with some very interesting concepts. As we expect from Scott these days, it's chocked full of themes he loves and in some respects it could quite easily fit into his Alien universe.

It managed to stand alone though, and despite the end really stealing from his Alienverse, I was pretty impressed overall. Not least by Amanda Collin and Abubaker Salim as Mother and Father. Both unknown to me in the acting world too, but I thought they played their roles excellently. A conflict between machine and humanity - a story told many times - yet this still offered a fresh take that served the show well.

A lot to consider for a second season - if we get one that is - but it certainly teed it up nicely.

I still can't quite go as high as Cas however, but a comfortable 8.5 for me.

rhodos

Well I boxed this off the other night. Looks like it's me and Cas against the world then on this one :laugh:

I still can't quite go as high as Cas however, but a comfortable 8.5 for me.

I tried the first episode and whilst 'Android gone bad' has been done many times this takes it to the next level. In keeping with the no spoiler theme I wont, but watching what she does, with no provocation, against tens of humans (and her partner),
i.e. simple plain murder in very grotesque fashion
, doesn't entice me to see it again.

The secret of having a vilain we can watch ad infinitum (Tony Soprano, Hannibal) is to make them have some mesmerising charisma/quality/appeal. She has none of that.

Yes I'm an old git, but as a passionate fan of all things Alien, I found this/she has none of the appeal of any of those previous antagonists.

Off.

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
Well this show fell off a cliff towards the end. I have no idea what that ending was supposed to signify and tbh I don't really care.
I thought Prometheus was good until it turned truly awful for the last 30 minutes and this show was fairly similar. It had some interesting idea and I was genuinely intrigued to see where it was going to go and then its like the last 2-3 episodes were finished in a hurry by a child.
5/10

sneakyweeone

Stuck with this the whole way but wished we hadn't. Very bizarre. I'd be surprised if season 2 arrived and I'll not be watching if it does.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
I’m 4 episodes in, and I’m not sure I’m watching the same show as the reviewer. Devoid of any original ideas, but to be fair I guess most of them were Scott’s to begin with. It’s watchable until something better comes along, but it’s a bit boring.

However the biggest question for me is how on earth (I mean Kepler 22b) is this an 18 rating? It a 15 at the most. I just finished Pennyworth, a 15, and that was way more graphic and featured much more adult sexual scenes.

Islandboy1511

Well, let me put this out there... my wife does not like, or will watch anything remotely sci-fi, but we started watching this and are both equally gripped!
Stylistically, it does seem reminiscent of Prometheus (which i liked by the way!) its a fascinating, slightly warped story, good acting and its hard to envisage what each episode will bring!

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
Well, let me put this out there... my wife does not like, or will watch anything remotely sci-fi, but we started watching this and are both equally gripped!
Stylistically, it does seem reminiscent of Prometheus (which i liked by the way!) its a fascinating, slightly warped story, good acting and its hard to envisage what each episode will bring!
This is exactly what I felt to begin with. It'll be interesting to hear you thoughts when you have finished the whole show.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
The ending... What. The. Hell.

I was not expecting that, absolutely bat do-do crazy. Where will it go from here, just wow.

SDMDAM

I love a good sci-fi but this ain't a good sci-fi. It has a good premise and interesting first couple of episodes but quickly deteriorated into nonsense in my opinion and the ending was terrible.

Definitely will not be watching S2.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021