Raised by Wolves Season 1 (HBOMax/Sky) TV Show Review & Comments

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review and bringing this to my attention.
I’m not going to read all of it as I know nothing, so will come back to it.
Great the whole series has finally landed on Sky, downloads kicking off!
Shame it’s just HD on Q and not UHD like The good lord bird

kahlua

wow,sounds superb cant wait for this.

ggwoodland

Yep - this is definitely on the to do list for tonight. I have NOW TV Boost on the C9 so 1080p and 5.1 - admittedly not 4K HDR Atmos like the Mandalorian but ok nonetheless - george

Zag

Have tried, 720p NowTV in the past and the low Bit rate and 720p, just made for an appalling watch on large 65/75 inch 4k/8k panels. Looks like a great new TV show, that until the streaming quality is improved a few notches, I just won't bother with. 1080p with a good bit rate, can still hold up well, but come on with 4k panels now standard and 8k here now and mainstream in a year or two, we really need to see big improvements in streaming quality. A TV is only as ever as good as the quality of the source.

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
Have tried, 720p NowTV in the past and the low Bit rate and 720p, just made for an appalling watch on large 65/75 inch 4k/8k panels. Looks like a great new TV show, that until the streaming quality is improved a few notches, I just won't bother with. 1080p with a good bit rate, can still hold up well, but come on with 4k panels now standard and 8k here now and mainstream in a year or two, we really need to see big improvements in streaming quality. A TV is only as ever as good as the quality of the source.
They do boost on now tv that makes it 1080p 5.1 so more than watchable from what I've seen in the past

Roohster

Distinguished Member
I love the sound of this, I added it to my list/planner after seeing a trailer on Sky last week.

richp007

Distinguished Member
I was keeping up with the old thread and wondered when a review might hit. Cheers.

I've had my eye on this for a while. Most notably because of Ridley's involvement, but also having fallen out of love with Westworld I was thinking this might act as a kind of big budget replacement with 'similar' sort of themes.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Such a shame that anyone in the UK has to sign up to SKY to get this. Even worse is the fact it can be accessed via SKY's abysmal Now TV platform which is basically just a shop window intended to attract new customers to SKY. Aren't they generous allowing you to pay extra to get 1080p. WOW, thanks so very much (greed knows no bounds).

The sooner SKY loses its HBO UK exclusity rights the better! SKY are the worst thing to ever happen to TV in this country despite their supposed "inovations". Those inovations are not there to enhance anything and simply attract flies to the SKY web.

After saying this, Raised By Wolves doesn't appear to have a 4K incarnation even in the USA? You can pre order it on disc already, but there's only so far been an option for seasom 1 on DVD. I cannot work out what HBO or indeed Ridley Scott are up to? This is one title that is crying out for 4K and HDR.

Anyway, I ain't paying SKY a penny for this and will happilly pay for a UHD or Blu-ray version of it instead.

Last edited:

Zag

They do boost on now tv that makes it 1080p 5.1 so more than watchable from what I've seen in the past

I suppose we should be happy with that, and in reality a good bit rate @ 1080p can look quite good.

But come on, in 2020 this really isn't good enough. The streaming service is providing, 2 million pixels worth of data and leaving the TV (for 8k) to "make up" the other 31 million..... (6 million for 4k).

Dans1210

10! 🤔 It was merely ok. Totally average in my opinion, 7-8 max.
I watched this on a 120’ screen with a jvc x7900, generally it is of high quality, the acting is good and overall it has a low budget movie feel to it.
I was initially drawn to it from Scotts involvement and it also has a retro feel to it that i liked.
While your best off not knowing anything going in nothing really happens anyway! It was all anti climactic for me and campeon really started to grate on me after a while.
It’s the best thing you will see this year as everything else has been rubbish! Especially the letdown that was blythe manor.
If you like sci fi your mileage may vary. It’s worth your time but just barely in my opinion as theres not much else to watch!
Thinking again of the 10 awarded to this show, in comparison to something like the first season of game of thrones or true detective or the likes this doesn’t really compare.
Final verdict for me 8.
Ps. I quite like Prometheus!

Last edited:

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Such a shame that anyone in the UK has to sign up to SKY to get this. Even worse is the fact it can be accessed via SKY's abysmal Now TV platform which is basically just a shop window intended to attract new customers to SKY. Aren't they generous allowing you to pay extra to get 1080p. WOW, thanks so very much (greed knows no bounds).

The sooner SKY loses its HBO UK exclusity rights the better! SKY are the worst thing to ever happen to TV in this country despite their supposed "inovations". Those inovations are not there to enhance anything and simply attract flies to the SKY web.

After saying this, Raised By Wolves doesn't appear to have a 4K incarnation even in the USA? You can pre order it on disc already, but there's only so far been an option for seasom 1 on DVD. I cannot work out what HBO or indeed Ridley Scott are up to? This is one title that is crying out for 4K and HDR.

Anyway, I ain't paying SKY a penny for this and will happilly pay for a UHD or Blu-ray version of it instead.
Netflix charge for SD/HD/UHD, so yes, while ridiculous charging for HD, that’s the way of it.
I’d love Sky to drop HBO so we could get max or F1 but it’s not happening anytime soon.
For those who have Sky subs, it’s nice to know that’s most HBO content eventually makes it on to Atlantic.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Netflix charge for SD/HD/UHD, so yes, while ridiculous charging for HD, that’s the way of it.
I’d love Sky to drop HBO so we could get max or F1 but it’s not happening anytime soon.
For those who have Sky subs, it’s nice to know that’s most HBO content eventually makes it on to Atlantic.

No, Netflix don't charge extra for HD. Yes, they do charge for Ultra HD though which is also required if you want to access Atmos if and when available. HD (1080p) is available via the basic subscription option.

Amazon, Disney+ and Apple all give you 4K UHD for no extra charge.

Earthscope

Been looking forward to this and now even more so after reading the review.
Thanks Cas....:thumbsup:

Hopefully we get a 4K Blu Ray release next year to watch in glorious DV...:love:

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Intrigued by this. Friends have watched this (via other means of course) and all have said it turns weird AF, but that it's compelling watching.

But a 10?!?!?? ~LOL.

Evinger

Thanks for the Review Cas. Very excited to see something where Ridley Scott properly returns to form, & the story line is right up my Straße (Though I am in the minority of actually enjoying Prometheus - mark it as a guilty pleasure).
Will check out how to watch it here in Germany.

Mensy

Distinguished Member
Watch the first 2 episode started watching episode 3 and turned it off thought the show was pap

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Intrigued by this. Friends have watched this (via other means of course) and all have said it turns weird AF, but that it's compelling watching.

But a 10?!?!?? ~LOL.

Wow, really? You're laughing at the score and you haven't even seen it?

That's the literal definition of jumping to the (review) conclusion.

Well done.

Hellenback

Standard Member
I have no idea why anyone gets excited about a show like this. I suppose escapism is fun for some but I have a hard time developing empathy for Androids and little interest in impossible futuristic fantasy.
I found the series enough of an unbelievable slog that I didn't bother finishing the season.
YMMV

invisiblekid

Distinguished Member
Wow, really? You're laughing at the score and you haven't even seen it?

That's the literal definition of jumping to the (review) conclusion.

Well done.
Yes I know. that's been part of the running joke right?

dante01

Distinguished Member
Sounds like you are bitter as you cannot afford Sky.

Sounds as though you think that is reason enough to not critise SKY? This in itself supports what I've said. Do you really think that you are getting something worth what you are paying?

The fact is that what you are paying is subsidising the over payment of sports rights. Go to Germany and try make it look as though you've access to something they'd not have or would want and watch them laugh at you.

I'm actually a Virgin Media cable TV customers, but their TV is just as crap if not more so.

My critism has sod all to do with my monetary status. The fact I'm willing to pay more in order to buy a Blu-ray in order to get the better quality kind of makes a mockery of your assumption. A bit like suggesting everyone with SKY are wealthy or that they are rolling in money? Maybe you are simply suggesting that SKY customers are the type to waste money?

Believe it or not, not everyone wants SKY and no, I'm not jealous of you.

Last edited:

Casimir Harlow

Blu-ray Reviewer
Yes I know. that's been part of the running joke right?

Hah, thought you were jumping on the bandwagon. Consider me Drax'd.

I would so love to just be able to slap an Unmissable badge on this and not have to score it. Score Wars are so tiresome.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
No Time to Die gets pushed to 8th Oct 2021
  • By Andy Bassett