Raised by Wolves (HBO Max/Sky) Season 2 Premiere TV Show Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Season 2 was better than 1 and hopefully for 3 we will get to see
Grandmother
in action :)

Agree with the solid 7/10 assessment

I recall quite enjoying the first season but I'm struggling to recall the giant snake so wondering if I watched all the episodes.

Sadly it's on Sky, which we don't use and have no interest in paying for. Now TV is a joke as well - I've seen better quality over hooky streams.

Great review Cas, I can’t wait to watch season 2, I totally agree with you’re appraisal of season 1, excellent sci-fi series 👏👍

Cas, your suggestion that The Last Duel was comparable in quality to The Martian shows just how subjective these reviews are.

I did like the first season of Raised, and if s2 is a 7/10 it'll certainly be worth watching. Probably binge it over two/three days.

Cas, your suggestion that The Last Duel was comparable in quality to The Martian shows just how subjective these reviews are.

I did like the first season of Raised, and if s2 is a 7/10 it'll certainly be worth watching. Probably binge it over two/three days.

I think that inference is not born out in anything I wrote mate, in fact quite the opposite.

I think that inference is not born out in anything I wrote mate, in fact quite the opposite.
Apologies. I missed “maybe”. Funny how one word makes all the difference.

Far from it being a minor niggle, I found the poor CG on the tanks really took me out of the experience. It really did look like a Command and Conquer vehicle clumsily superimposed over footage of the landscape. Found it incredibly jarring and immersion-breaking - a real shame for a series that had, as Cas says, done such a good job of building a convincing world last season.

Available in UHD on sky?

Is anyone else getting to that age where they feel they have to rewatch the entire first season of something like this just to properly understand the second?

Is anyone else getting to that age where they feel they have to rewatch the entire first season of something like this just to properly understand the second?
Absolutely. I'm almost sure I watched the whole of season one but struggling to recall it

Available in UHD on sky?
Highly unlikely. It‘s HBO. The best we can hope for is a picture that isn’t covered in compression artefacts.

I’ll wait until it’s available to buy on iTunes… I can’t bring myself to give Sky any money after the utter rip-off of my experience of Now TV and an additional ‘boost’ for HD. (And if you use Now TV on an Apple TV, forget about 5.1 audio…)
Just a shame that TV shows on iTunes aren’t 4K, but maybe one day there’ll be a free upgrade like with movies…
Either way, even the HD stream from Apple is going to be a hell of a lot better.

I suffered through the first series of this, hoping it would get better. It never did. Such a bizarre concept for a show, and those Monty Python esque holy Knight characters were laughable. Really bad acting as well, unusually bad for a modern big budget TV show. I'll be skipping the second series.

Thanks for the review, like others I forgot about parts of the 1st season until I read the comments above. I struggled with season 1 and will be giving season 2 a miss.

Will be watching 2 just as soon as I can buy it on Prime.
Thanks Cas!

4 episodes in and I don’t know what to make of this really. Season 1 was kind of mental, but generally in a good and interesting way. Quite enjoyable I thought.

This is just a bizarre 90’s sci-fi show mashup of lost in space, Star Trek and Max Max. All of the interesting concepts and mysteries from season 1 that made it compelling seem to have been mostly forgotten about.

And for Christ sake, the most strange and frustrating thing is - why hasn’t anyone said ‘Marcus, what the hell is up with your face mate?’

Last edited:
4 episodes in and I don’t know what to make of this really. Season 1 was kind of mental, but generally in a good and interesting way. Quite enjoyable I thought.

This is just a bizarre 90’s sci-fi show mashup of lost in space, Star Trek and Max Max. All of the interesting concepts and mysteries from season 1 that made it compelling seem to have been mostly forgotten about.

And for Christ sake, the most strange and frustrating thing is - why hasn’t anyone said ‘Marcus, what the hell is up with your face mate?’
IMHO it does get stronger as the season gets into the second half, so stick with it if you can.

Absolutely. I'm almost sure I watched the whole of season one but struggling to recall it
Mother gave birth in the last episode, they decided to try and kill it by flying the pod down into one of the pits to burn up but it turned out they emerged on the other side of the planet and her baby flew off.

Have to say I thought this season was an absolute mess.

I should love this sort of post apocalyptic sci fi but it's been a miss for me.

The opening credit sequence and music is one of the best bits.

It's got to the point where I always rewatch at least the final episode of the prior season before I get started on a new one.

I mean Stranger Things is back soon, and I'll be damned if I can remember the plot details of Season 3.

Such huge gaps between seasons (Covid of course exacerbating matters currently) is really problematic for me.

I'm 5 episodes in to season 2 and although I'm kinda of enjoying it I have no idea what is going on.
There should have been a "previously on Raised by Wolves" before season 2 started, especially when you have to wait 1 year plus between seasons.

Up to episode 7 of season 2 now and some things annoy me
The sea is acid and in this acid sea live these strange horrible aggressive looking lizard monsters so why the hell do the people keep visiting the shoreline? Surely the spray from the Acid sea would give them all 3rd degree burns anywhere within 100 metres of the sea splashing against the rocks?
Where did the humans who didn't want to be governed by Mother go to? Is there a nearby town down the road?

I'm 5 episodes in to season 2 and although I'm kinda of enjoying it I have no idea what is going on.
There should have been a "previously on Raised by Wolves" before season 2 started, especially when you have to wait 1 year plus between seasons.
Yep, definitely agree with that and would be good in general for TV series. I was trying to find some good recaps on Youtube but the quality is very hit and miss and having the same problem with Better Call Saul which has had a bigger gap.

Up to episode 7 of season 2 now and some things annoy me
The sea is acid and in this acid sea live these strange horrible aggressive looking lizard monsters so why the hell do the people keep visiting the shoreline? Surely the spray from the Acid sea would give them all 3rd degree burns anywhere within 100 metres of the sea splashing against the rocks?
Where did the humans who didn't want to be governed by Mother go to? Is there a nearby town down the road?
I think a lot of the stuff by the sea was driving by the young women who wanted to kill her newborn baby so she went to the sea then changed her mind then the creature kidnapped it so then the hunting parties ended up going along near the sea to find it. I realise that doesn't explain all of the time spent near the water but I felt that's why there was quite a focus on it.

I wasn't going to watch this after finding the ending to the first season so terrible but curiosity got the better of me and boy do I regret it again. Someone in the other thread said it's like 'Lost' in space which I think is partially true but I think this series is worse because not only do we get little in the way of answers but what answers we do get just feel like nonsense.

I'll start another spoiler tag just to make sure...
In the first series the moment where she gives birth to the serpent which starts feeding off her then they fly through the planet just felt such a frustrating finish. This time when the object opened up to produce a seed, turned the lady into a giant tree which then the serpent ate to weaponise itself so it could hunt down a boy really left me wondering why I was wasting my time on this again.

I do like some of the basis of the story with these two rival factions and the question over what exactly Sol is, it does feel like there's been slight progress towards that this series but not enough for al the time spent. One aspect of sci-fi that usually appeals to me is how the technology works but in this case it just seems so inconsistent and changes to whatever is needed for the storyline. It still doesn't feel clear exactly what the Androids are, the small female one that was damaged seemed more mechanical than mother/father although they could be more advanced models. Their blood/fuel in particular seems to have drastically different effects from enhancing human abilities in the first series to completely 'regrowing' an Android in this one. The 'eyes' unlocking the necromancer ability seems understandable as a sort of 'key' but then why would they grant a human additional abilities?

I've perhaps missed something but I find it odd no-one seemed that fussed about the Grandmother android, no surprise there was a human technology on the planet years before them. I thought it particularly daft it was 100% compatible with the current androids and their systems, I know Mother's weapons technology is meant to be based on the information from Sol but even if you were given the instruction for say a 6502 processor it's unlikely what you'd build would be anything like 100% compatible and that's only 40 years go. I'd have thought her seeing the children without the veil would make her reconsider the plan although genetically altering the humans through playing a game again just seems bizarre.

The look and effects on the series vary so wildly as well. Much of the camp, the humans and the interfaces look good and well thought out however other parts just look awful. The mirror silver catsuits for the Androids feels like they're from some budget 80's film and don't feel like they fit in with the rest at all. The necro-serpent looks particularly bad and reminds of some of the terrible early CGI used in music videos, if they had to go that cheap with it they could have done a much better job hiding it a lot more than just show it in all its horrible glory frequently. Some of the external animation and graphics for the Atheist tanks is pretty ropey as well.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom