1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rainbows and subtitles

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Alan Pressley, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Alan Pressley

Alan Pressley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

This has probably been covered before, so sorry in advance :( .

Having recently got a DLP projector, I started noticing rainbows. Mainly during high contrast (white on black) scenes, if I flick my eyes across the screen.

This isnt a major problem for me, as most films have few high contrast moments and "eye flicking" is a habit I can resist.

However, most subtitled films have fairly bright white wording and reading them requires the eyes to be moving across the screen.
    I have found the two subtitled films I have watched recently to be quite difficult going.

Does anyone else have this problem and is there a way around it?

2. andhoey

andhoey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi #1.i 2 had the problem with the rainbow effect with the screenplay 4800 :mad: the solution :sent it back :) . i am now on the lookout for an lcd proj. i found that if i turned the brightness down it reduced it slightly . but between the fan noise ;rainbow effect;light overspill (ive got 16:9 screen) and sore heads , i couldn't take it anymore :suicide: .

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    Salutory lesson: If you are "sold" on the theoretical advantages of DLP - make 100% sure before you buy, that your visual acuity (and that of any family members etc who will share your cinema with you) is such that they aren't a problem. This can only be done by demo-ing. Contrasty edges are the image content that reveals it most - subtitles are a good example. Unfortunately, I don't believe there is any "fix" or workround you can apply.

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Out of interest what DLP projector is it, i used to get eystrain/see the occasional rainbow with the older DLPs but on the few new crop of DLPs i have looked at i get none of these problems.

Would also agree with Nigel, best to demo DLP before buying.

5. Alan Pressley

Alan Pressley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. :)

I have a Themescene H56.

I did demo DLPs to a certain extent, watching about an hour of different films on a Sim2 and then about 40 minutes on the Themescene.
    I will also add that I watched 4 films after buying the Themescene without noticing anything.

This means I would have maybe had to do up to 10+ hours of demos before I saw any problem.

As I mentioned, the rainbows arent really a problem if I avoid subtitled films, so I am still very happy with my purchase and I dont get a headache or sore eyes.

I will just have to avoid anything foreign, or learn the language :D

6. Skyav

Skyav
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I consider myself someone who is prone to seeing dlp artifacts, however...after owning an Optoma H30 for a couple of months, it's not even a problem now. It seems the more I appreciate the amazing picture quality, the less I notice the rainbows. I can see how subtitles might cause them to be noticeable, but it would be a shame to miss all those great foreign language films.

My personal thoughts on minimising dlp flashing are: Not to go too big - the larger the screen area, the more one's eyes will be flicking around, and use Eco mode for a more natural image - the harsher the whites, the more noticeable the rainbows. I've even found that any obvious rainbows disappear completely when I narrow my eyes a little - the eyelashes seem to help filter them out.

I am consistently impressed at the H30's image quality, and I think the 4xspeed/6-segment colour wheel really helps (I believe the H56 has the same). I can recommend perserverence (unless you're having major headaches!)

:smashin: