1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rainbow on optoma h50

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by zombie001, Dec 23, 2002.

1. zombie001

zombie001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I got one of the optoma H50's about a week ago, had a demo and it looked great no rainbow.

Got it home, set up and started to notice rainbows after a few hours. Trouble is now that I have seen one I can see them all the time.

Is there anyway to stop this? or is my only option to trade it against a lcd rather than a dlp. Can I be traded at all?

Or have I just bought a clanger.:eek:

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,034
    Here is a salutory lesson for anyone considering a single-chip DLP device and is immediately attracted by the blackness of black from these.

I am not aware of any solutions, although it may be possible to up the refresh rate with an external scaler/processor. Others here will know more than I on this topic.

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    There is no way to spped up the colour wheel I'm afraid. Many DLP's work at fixed 60Hz refresh so I doubt sticking higher rate in to it will help as it will just do conversion back to 60. Youcould try though as Nigel says. Really though you need to look at replacing it.

Gordon

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,100
    I have heard of people getting used to rainbows, and no longer or rarely see them after they have put a further few hours on the machine.

Living with it may help to acclimatise to it, but if you have to take it back within a certain time period, you may not have this luxery.

Did you increase the brightness? Sometimes a brighter image can make them more noticable IIRC.

Gary.

5. zombie001

zombie001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

Well I have the Christmas period to play with it. If things don't improve then my only option is to replace it.

Its a shame because I like the projector.

Thanks for your advise. Best regards zombie001