1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rainbow Effect

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by samwiley, May 9, 2001.

1. samwiley

samwiley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm considering buying a projector but am worried about the two most commonly reported artefacts that can sometimes be seen with the two types of non-CRT projector, chickenwire (LCD) and rainbow effect (DLP).

I know what to look for with the chickenwire effect but am less clear what the rainbow effect looks like or when it's most likely to be noticable.

Can anyone recommend any scenes from any films that are particularly prone to showing the rainbow effect?

Does the resolution (VGA vs XGA) make any difference?

Sam Wiley

2. jamie

jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey sam

I had never even heard of rainbow effect but when i first (and last) saw a DLP projector, a few moments after commenting on how bright it was, and how nice it was to have no chickenwire (although I only notice it on LCD ones when i walk up to the screen and look for it) I asked the sales person why I could see funny colours when the rotor blades spun with white sky behind them in the apocalypse dvd he was running - i stopped asking him after i could see the same effect every few seconds as any black object moved fast in front of a white sky...

I ruled out DLP there and then

sadly i've picked fault with anything, so now I've ruled out CRT and most LCD too, so I have to read novels :D

jamie

3. Steve Kinsey

Steve Kinsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sam,

I've recently demo'd two different DLP projectors, a Davis and the SIM2 HT200. Two Disks that I really noticed the rainbow effect on with both projectors were U571 (Chapter 13ish) and The Abyss (Chapter 1 - Submarine Scene). One film that I didn't get any rainbow effect at all on was Toy Story 2.

Hope that helps.

4. component-man

component-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sam,

I too am looking at buying a projector in the
    future. I have seen demos of 2 projectors (lcd & dlp).

Firstly the LCD, I saw the SONY VW10HT. When I saw the picture quality running via DVD, it
    was good. However, I noticed the "blacks" weren't displaying deep blacks, more like a grey.Also, the contrast/brightness was that bright.

Now the DLP, when I recently saw the SIM2 HT200 (again via DVD), The picture quality was outstanding.Great contrast,but I witnessed the dreaded "rainbow effect".Its basically flashes or pulses of multi-coloured artfacts on the screen.They show up more where there are bright backgrounds with dark foreground objects on screen. Some people can see it, some can't.I suppose it depends on the sensitivity of your eyes! Also when your eyes move rapidly across the screen it shows up as well.

I HOPE THIS HAS HELPED

5. VintageMark

VintageMark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to Chris Frost Ive seen a demo of a Sim2 HT200 twice now and fortunately I dont seem to be one of those that sees the rainbow effect....

Just wanted to say that for those of you that have missed it Sim2 have a new model called the HT200DM I believe, one of the major upgrades is a new colour wheel which is supposed to help eliminate the rainbow effect.

So for those of you still looking, might be worth hanging on until June which is when I believe the new model will be available, you never know!

Im sure Chris could give more details if anyone is interested.

Mark.

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think this issue relates to many others. I like a lot of programmes with either space or dark tones (eg 'Angel') but didn't have the space for a CRT. I ruled out LCD, partly for this, and partly because of my pathological fear of dead pixels - one of which infects this very laptop, and is deemed normal by Sony. I settled on DLP, knowing full well there is much progress in this area, and although I sometimes see rainbows, for me they are a lesser evil.
    I have searched many forums to find an adequate explanation of why they only occur with certain material, or certain sources, but there does not appear to be a clear answer yet. I have also read that sometimes someone starts seeing them after a period of not having seen them. They then can't stop seeing them! But although I see them on Sky, they don't bother me too much, and the colours from the projector make it worthwhile. However not all DLP projectors are equal. Sadly, it is not that easy to compare and test different projectors, but hopefully things are improving there too.

7. samwiley

samwiley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

I think my problem is that the projector that I want for a price that I can afford (<£2500) isn't made yet!!

I've demo'd three machines so far - Tosh MT1, a Davis and the InFocus340.

I prefered the slightly softer 'filmic' look of the DLP machines. The LCD Tosh seemed a little harsh (to my untrained eyes) and I could see the pixel structure at a distance far enough away from the screen to give me concern (on a 6' screen).

This leads me to think that a DLP is for me, but I know that there's no way I could live with the rainbow artefacts (not just me, as I want to enjoy my home cinema with my friends too and I wouldn't want them to have to put up with it even if I can't see it!!)

So maybe the answer is to fork out on a higher resolution XGA LCD machine.

I just don't know, the trouble is I'm impatient. I want a projector and I want it now!!

So, Jamie, you have my sympathy - I might just have to go back to novels too!!

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: samwiley ]