Raiders Trilogy...When?

Timh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone any information regarding the dvd release of the Indiana Jones films on DVD?
I remember it being discussed some time ago, with no set release date.

Just found THIS looks like it could be Christmas next year :(

Originally posted by James45
at the very, very earliest... there was talk of 2006.

Look on the bright side - we might all have super duper home cinema's by then :D.

Or look on the down side, DVD will have been superceded by another format by then
maybe for the better if it has no digital artifacts, I even spotted some a couple of times on Monsters Inc :eek:

Originally posted by mcmullanbrush
Or look on the down side, DVD will have been superceded by another format by then:(

can't see it myself, most people aren't prepared to keep replacing their film collection. Can't wait to hear THAT theme through my system.:cool:

can't see it myself, most people aren't prepared to keep replacing their film collection.

Some members on here seem to replace their film collections every month :rolleyes:.

What can be the posible reason to delay it to 2006? :mad:

Even christmas 2003 is way too late

I have the pal LD's.......anyone have any idea if the NTSC have DD on them?

it's a shame to leave them so long, perhaps we will get them along side harrison ford's obituary! :(

ad

anybody familiar with George Lucas. He just convinced Speilberg to shoot Indy 4 on DV (please god dont say it becomes an ILM circle jerk).

Apply your knowledge of Lucas's Star Wars Dvd tactics to the Indy trilogy and you'll figure out whats gonna happen.

remembers: how crap Attack of the Clones really was.

What can be the posible reason to delay it to 2006?

Maybe waiting for the 4th film to do the rounds before a box set with all the extras and retouching of the old materials etc. Lengthy process.

Apply your knowledge of Lucas's Star Wars Dvd tactics to the Indy trilogy and you'll figure out whats gonna happen.

remembers: how crap Attack of the Clones really was.

An easy way to make a packet of people willing to pay for it, I can smell a few ppl in here chomping at the bit already.

Indy films are still the best hope they dont follow Star Wars suit.

My tone is down, now try tinkering with your contrast!

Originally posted by buns
I have the pal LD's.......anyone have any idea if the NTSC have DD on them?

ad

No just Dolby Pro-Logic 4.1 which sounds f*****g awesome (I could not believe they were not 5.1 as they sounded that good) when played back on a full THX sound system.

THX seems to extract a lot of information from these LD's which a non THX system cannot (try it on just plain pro-logic1 without THX modes then with and you'll see what I mean)

However, the NTSC versions (which I bought back in Aug 1992 & still own & watch) were very early THX Mastered test pressings (minus the logos) so they still look and sound superb even when shown on a projector & large screen.

Lucasfilm announced THX WS 5.1 NTSC LD versions back in 1998 then cancelled a few months later as the US NTSC LD market was dying & DVD taking off.
:(

Remember Indie is Lucas' baby... Speilberg just directed. Lucas wrote them (at least the first one he did) and is sticking to his DVD guns of not working on them until he can give them his full attention which is the same situation with Star Wars. Remember Lucas, Spielberg and Francis Ford Coppola are best buddies so I imagine the voice of one carries a lot of weight with the others.
Lucas is a control freak big time, there's even some flashback footage of Natalie Portman that was shot while AOTC was filming with a view to editing it into Return of the Jedi.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Does anyone remember the differences in the special editions? By the time the original trilogy come out on DVD I doubt many will recognise them as the original films.:(

The Indy trilogy will probably come out after Star Wars!!:mad:

Does anyone remember the differences in the special editions? By the time the original trilogy come out on DVD I doubt many will recognise them as the original films.:(

The Indy trilogy will probably come out after Star Wars!!:mad:

Personally, i dont know the differences between the SE and original. I'll surely just end up confused! :D

I would have thought that the preference would have been for Star wars to come out first, then worry about indy..... but it doesnt seem that way from listening!

ad

not working on them until he can give them his full attention which is the same situation with Star Wars.

Somehow I dont believe for one minute that Episode 1 & 2 actually had anyones full attention let alone Lucas's.

im sure there must be some who agree, but i enjoyed AOTC. I found it a much more pleasing experience than LOTR which so many think is the be all and end all.

Lucas may have his bad points, but he cant be that bad or else everyone wouldnt be clamouring for his films!!!!

ad

In the special additions many new special effects shots were added like a MUCH more developed and illustrated cloud city and the bit when the Millennium Falcon takes off from Tattoine escaping the storm troopers in the first film you actually see the MF take off and blast into orbit which was an entirely new shot! Those aspects never bothered me, in fact I think the films look all the better for it the problem with the special editions lies in one scene in particular.
In the cantina at Mos Eisley, when Han is sitting across the table from the bounty hunter Greedo. In the original film Han shoots Greedo under the table because he is about to be captured, its almost done in cold-blood which makes Han's character more interesting. However in the Special Edition Lucas felt he should make Han's character more kiddy-friendly and had his computer geeks alter the scene so Greedo shoots first meaning Han had more reason to kill him which really alters Han's character IMO.
Also in the special editions Han talks to a CGI Jabba outside the Millennium Falcon in the first film, that was a scene that was originally cut as they had no way of making a realistic Jabba (possibly due to budget) so they added a CGI Jabba and had Han digitally 'step' over Jabba's tail which is a horrible, horrible piece of cut out and paste CGI. I'd like the Special Editions much more if it was just special effects scenes that were added and not actually change to the story.

Lucas created something very special with the original trilogy 25 years ago but the success was also down to the fantastic cast, the freshness of it all, a legendary score and some ground-breaking special effects as well as Lucas. He simply doesn't have those elements this time round and has his head up his ass with regards to CGI.

Good Post James,

I was sad that Lucas went with total CGi in the new films instead of using Muppets, but then again Rick McCallam is involved with the new film, so thats one Muppet at least.

Also in the special editions Han talks to a CGI Jabba outside the Millennium Falcon in the first film, that was a scene that was originally cut as they had no way of making a realistic Jabba (possibly due to budget) so they added a CGI Jabba and had Han digitally 'step' over Jabba's tail which is a horrible, horrible piece of cut out and paste CGI. I'd like the Special Editions much more if it was just special effects scenes that were added and not actually change to the story.

Believe me or not but the CGI Jabba is actually placed over the original Jabba who was in actual fact.... wait for it. A very overweight Scotsman. Yes jabba changed from a Rab C Nesbit alike to a slimey snot. I have proof for the non-believers.

Aren't the Indy films supposed to be episode 24 to 26 (or something - Temple of doom is supposed to be set before raiders) of the complete adventures of Indiana Jones? Maybe Lucas is gonna make the prequels, and we'll get the DVD's in 20 or so years :mad: .

Might have to just buy myself a vcr that works so that i can watch them on VHS.

Originally posted by Miniholic
Aren't the Indy films supposed to be episode 24 to 26 (or something - Temple of doom is supposed to be set before raiders) of the complete adventures of Indiana Jones? Maybe Lucas is gonna make the prequels, and we'll get the DVD's in 20 or so years :mad: .

Or a LD ;)

ad

Originally posted by buns
im sure there must be some who agree, but i enjoyed AOTC. I found it a much more pleasing experience than LOTR which so many think is the be all and end all.

Lucas may have his bad points, but he cant be that bad or else everyone wouldnt be clamouring for his films!!!!

ad

AOTC is CGI garbage with no story and no interest !!
Starwars in itself has not aged well (Shiny plastic suits and all)and when I saw it recently on telly with all the added CGI extra footage which stuck out like the proverbial sore thumb then that did it for me! I saw it at the pictures first time around and it had something then but 25yrs or whatever down the line and that something has been lost or at best covered up in a poor attempt to bring it up to date, it fails.
LOTR?? Roll on December ;)

Originally posted by Miniholic

it fits in with the Young Indy Chronicals which they show on the BBC some times, there are bloody loads of those and they are all boring!

Originally posted by Zone
AOTC is CGI garbage with no story and no interest !!
Starwars in itself has not aged well (Shiny plastic suits and all)and when I saw it recently on telly with all the added CGI extra footage which stuck out like the proverbial sore thumb then that did it for me! I saw it at the pictures first time around and it had something then but 25yrs or whatever down the line and that something has been lost or at best covered up in a poor attempt to bring it up to date, it fails.
LOTR?? Roll on December ;)

I have to say I think the original trilogy has aged remarkably well... but you're right about AOTC, I can't decide whether I really want it on DVD or not.

well i enjoyed it so :p

ad

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom