RAID Configurations

sapper

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I currently have the Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe SKTA NVNorce2ST ATX 8xAGP Giga LAN, SATA, Firewire, 6 channel Audio, USB2 Dual chan. DDR motherboard with RAID 0 and 1 controllers.

Currently my OS is installed on a 80 Gig IDE hard drive. would there be any advantage in installing the OS and software files onto the RAID 0? If I were to install on RAID 0, can youjust use a single disc or do youhave to use two? The reason I asked was that I was advised by some one in IT to buy a SATA drive rather than IDE for the software drive s o I currently have a Maxtor Diamondmax 80gb SATA 150 7200rpm 8mb Cache drive doing not a lot.

I am intending to install the majority of my data for the short term on a RAID 1(Mirror) using either Maxtor 200 or 250 drives.

What are your opinions on this?

Adrian

You need 2 disks for raid 0, but raid 0 has no fault tolerance

TheBorg said:
You need 2 disks for raid 0, but raid 0 has no fault tolerance

that is what I thought.

so is it possible to use a sata drive instead of an IDE drive, or is the drive I have now surplus to requirments?

Having just done this with an ASRock motherboard with SATA raid driver, it's no problem to install the OS on the SATA disk.

The drive is seen as 'Raid 0', but of course as there is only one drive it's not a proper raid array. It's just the way the drivers work.

don't forget to make sure you have the SATA driver floppies before installing - I didn't read the manual properly and it took me a while to figure out :blush:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom