• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Raid 5 for storing media

manbearpig

Standard Member
I am quickly running out of storage on my 750gb and 1tb drives, I have already filled up the 750gb, so all my stuff from now on isn't being backed up so I want to get some extra storage, I'm thinking I could get:

3 x Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB

And have them in a Raid 5 array, so it gives me 2TB of usable space plus the redundancy of 1 disk, this looks like a good option to me.

Would using the onboard sata controller in my Gigabyte EX58-UD5 be ok or would you recommend buying a dedicated raid card?

The main use for this set up will be storing 1080/720p mkv files, avi's, mp3's etc, would the speed on the onboard raid be enough for this?

Thanks a lot :)

mjn

Distinguished Member
You should be able to use the RAID on your motherboard, but remember that RAID isn't a backup solution, it just gives you higher availability of data.

You still need a backup solution, either copying all data to another location, such as a NAS, or another PC. Or you could use a LTO tape drive.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Yeah, for something like media I'd not bother with the extra cost of RAID. If a drive does die you're unlikely to be in any great hurry to have the entirely library up and running again.

jasonf01

Id say dont do it. Consumer level RAID is generally used in a poor manner, and used as a backup solution instead of its true use as an availability solution. It also adds an extra layer of complexity to your setup so more things can go wrong.

If you really want to, as mjn has said, make sure you make a proper backup.

Jas.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I'm another one to add to the list of people who doesn't like RAID on home systems!

D

Deleted member 30535

Software RAID can vary from MB to MB. Although I currently run 4 x 500GB in Raid 0, before I installed the OS to the RAID, I ran a series of read/write tests for RAID 0, Raid 5.

RAID 0

Read

snagprogram0139.png

Write

snagprogram0138.png

RAID 5

Read

snagprogram0141.png

Write

snagprogram0140.png

Two things jump out:
(1) How slow the Raid 5 Write was and
(2) The high CPU usage on Raid 5 read.

Needless to say I avoided RAID 5.

RAID 0 runs very sweetly. I have Windows Home Server as my backup/restore. I also have a separate 1TB Samsung F1 drive with W7 dual booting to it and it has full system backups run automatically each Sunday (for emergency restore to the Raid).

ma10

Standard Member
I've done something like what you suggested a few years but a power failure caused the array to go pear-shaped and alot of the data was corrupted, no backup = can not recover them... So, definitely agree what mjn says, RAID makes it easier to retrieve data if one hard drive fails but you will need a separate backup solution.

Software raid is best.

If a hardware controller bites the dust and you cant find another one, youve just lost everything.

If your mainboard goes, then its an easy fix to reinstall a new mainboard, reinstall the raid software and youre in business.

Dedicated RAID is good for business only in my experience. Best bet, run two 2TB drives side by side, have one copy the other when its not busy for backup.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom