1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raging Bull

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by baldbird, Jul 21, 2003.

1. baldbird

baldbird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought this a few weeks ago - R2 2 disc special edition.

Watched it for the first time in years last night. Still an absolutely amazing film and probably De Niro's finest hour.
    but..
    The picture quality was quite poor. Just seemed to be quite grainy as if it was taken from an old reel.. As the film was shot totally in B & W maybe it's supposed to be grainy, I can't remember.
    Anyone know ??

2. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've read something about a new version coming out which will have a new anamorphic print an dd5.1 sound - perhaps that will improve the picture.

Also, I think that some parts of the film are supposed to look grainy according to this review. Quote :-

The DVD is framed at the correct ratio of 1.85:1. The picture quality is excellent, virtually artefact-free and only marred by some dust speckles in one scene. It loses a point for being non-anamorphic, though. (The home-movie footage is meant to look grotty: in fact Scorsese and Chapman were unable to make it look bad enough, so they got crew members to shoot it!)