Ragged Sub Response - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by rebop, Jan 26, 2002.

1. rebop

rebop
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I have two Sunfire True Subs Mark II's running from the LFE out of my pre/proc that have a very ragged response no matter how I seem to place them in the room.The proc xover is set to 80Hz, the subs crossovers all the way up. In phase seems to be better at 80Hz by a dB or two.

Since I have floor to ceiling bass traps behind my mains in the front corners, I keep the subs away from the corners. And since they fire both front and rear, I have the active drivers firing forward. This is audibly better than against the front walland firing to the sides.

The room dimensions are 9' x 16.75' x ?? as the dining room and hallway are connected. I have put up a spread sheet with a room diagram and layout as well as curves for 5 different room locations at Room Layout and Test Link. You can see a reasonable representation of the room there and you'll note that all of the responses have dramatic peaks and dips.

Is there anything I can do to smooth this without an EQ? Would front firing subs improve the response curves?

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions.

-=Bob=-