1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

raedon ve or not ??????

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jason t, Jun 4, 2001.

1. jason t

jason t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    hi i think i have decided to go with a raedon
    but which one that is the question,should i go with the ve or shall i just get the 32 meg version which for some reason is £40 pound dearer????????

please help

jason

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    I would stay clear of the VE if poss. Go for the standard 32 MB version.

Jeff

3. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ve just has the dvi connection extra i think

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    It has a 64bit memory path, all the other Radeons have a 128bit memory path. It also has some of the 3D options taken out.

Jeff

5. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jeff knows too much about video cards ;)

Mike

PS know if a gts with vga connector can have a ribbon cable to a dvi connector?

6. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +149
    Hi there,

The VE is *QUITE* different from the Standard 32SDR card.

It has half the data bus, but has DDR memory, this means that it negates the advantages of DDR as the memory bandwidth is the same.

It has a DUALHEAD option, which means you can run two monitors (Or a TV + monitor) in either clone or 'wide' mode. This can be using the DVI connector or an adapter.

You *CAN'T* run dvd on both outputs, because win95/98/2000/ME has a single overlay limitation although unlike the geforce2 mx dualhead, you can switch which output is the primary and which is the secondary on the fly (And subsiquently which output the DVD overlay apears on).

The VE's RamDAC is clocked at 300hz rather than the normal 350hz, some people claim this is slightly less crisp, however i've yet to see a difference.

Also there are problems with the VE and custom resolutions (Different to hidden resoloutions), this is where you use powerstrip to achive a custom res. Origionaly the radeon suffered from this and recent drivers have fixed it. Not so with the VE that it apears you can get some resolutions, but its tricky (ie you switch down to some, up to others and it apears to depend on which is primary etc)

As for 3D options, i'm not so sure, i think the HyperZ is there, i know the important IDTC and Motion compensation is still there and work extreamly well.

Its slower than my Geforce2 MX for games, but i hardly play games. However for use with my projector (No fuzzyiness of picture) and for DVD playback, it *ROCKS*

cya,
    Lee

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have radeon AIW and I get a black bar along the bottom on TV out. ATI says this is a known fault. May influence your decision