Radius 180 demo on fri, what to listen to?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by SilverPenguin7, Jul 21, 2004.

1. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Ok, I'm going for a demo of a set of 5 Radius 180's on friday with a view to purchasing for my house move the follwoing week.

The thing is, I haven't gone for a demo of any kind in so long and I can't really think of what dvd's to check out. I know that may sound totally stupid seeing as everyone has their own tastes and ideas of what sounds good but can anyone think of some good dvd's/scenes to demo the speakers with as my mind is totally blank!! :oops:

Hope they sound good as I'm looking forward to having them mounted on my wall freeing up some floor space :thumbsup:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I like to demo with Moulin Rouge as it has deep bass for the subwoofer, swirling effects whizzing from speaker to speaker plus a mixture of dialogue and music so everything is covered.

3. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always demo American beauty, queen-greatest hits (DVD) and Whatever CD i'm listening to the most at the time for my own judgement of kit.
    It tends to be best to use material that you are familiar with as possible so you at least begin to recognise any subtle changes by changing parts of the system, as you will automatically be judging the system with familiar DVDs once you're home and paid for.

4. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. Hoping these speakers will do the business so fingers crossed :)

5. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    For low-end Omph, nothing beats the Star wars Phantom Menace Pod Race scene. Also recommend xXx for the avalanche scene & jurassic park 3's T-rex vs. Megalodon scene.

For dialogue, any Tarantino film of course! But LOTR should do just fine. Check for sibilance on Golum's "S" and muddyness in Gandalf's voice.

For musicality/soundtracks, any of those block-rockin' beats in Matrix reloaded

Blade 2 & Black hawk down for surround effects & gunfire!

Hope this helps,
    DT

6. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well, had the demo. Loved the 180's. Have 5 on order for collection next tuesday :D

7. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Out of interest, what sort of subwoofer is partnered with the radius & how powerful is it (in W)?

DT

8. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The sub in the demo was a MA one, not the best in the word as it didn't really fill the demo room convincingly enough for me. However back home they will be playing with my REL Storm which is around 100-150 W RMS if I remember rightly (which might be why the MA sub sounded below par to me!).