Radion or Geforce3?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Paul D, Sep 14, 2001.

1. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +539
    At the moment i have the Geforce2 GTS 32DDR. Which i use with WinDVD 2.64/3.0. I feel at the moment WinDVD gives the clearest most colourful/saturated image than other softDVD players. However the Geforce can posterise/banding on some colours in background shots.<br />The ATI graphics card in my laptop using ATIs softDVD player doesn't suffer this posterising/banding. However the Geforce is better for gaming which is very important.<br />I will be upgrading my graphics soon, and was wondering is ATI was bringing out a new faster gaming card ie Radion2 etc. Or if the Geforce3 has better DVD playback handling anyway.<br />So how do people rate the two cards.

Radion64DDR:-<br />1- for playing dvds<br />2- for gaming speed

Geforce3:-<br />1- for playing dvds<br />2- for gaming speed

Any advise will be welcome as i've not been keeping up to date with the HTPC side of things lately.

Thanks!

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    As you already have a graphics card that is OK for now I would wait a little while longer for the ATI 8500 to be released. This will give you the best DVD playback and good gameing speed.

<a href="http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1517" target="_blank">http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1517</a>

Jeff

3. BlinkzExtreme

BlinkzExtreme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i got the radeon64 and its the bees knees. dvds play perfectly, its one of the most powerful cards out there. I say get this one, however, to be fare, i've never seen the gf3, i got my radeon b4 it came out. but i say the radeon rocks.

4. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +539
    Jeff, the 8500 specs look like a good compromise.<br />The speed difference to the GF3 is only about 15%, plus it does some things better/faster.<br />The added DVD playback enhancements sound very good.<br />I've had trouble in the past with poor drivers from ATI, but it looks like this situation is being addressed.

5. WSquared

WSquared

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have you seen the price of the 8500 or the 8500DV?<br />I've heard that they will be more expensive than the Geforce3 cards.<br />I'm interested in the price, but I'm happy with my Geforce2 Ultra for the moment.

WSquared