1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radion 9700Pro Vs Nvidia 6800

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Kahless725, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I am building a HTPC and have a sweetspot card ordered. It will be an athlon 3200 64 bit system with 1GB ram but I cant decide on what video card to get.

I was set on getting a 9700 Pro cos it would provide a decent level of games performance for just £93 but have been reading about the 6 series nvidia chips with programmable video doobry with HW mpeg124. But the 6800 card is double the cost of the 9700Pro.

Bearing the cost in mind what software supports the new 6 series? Is it a case of cos it is DX 9 it will support all software or does software need to be specifically written to take advantage?

I want to use the PC as a PVR as either a MPEG2 or MPEG4 PVR does anyone know any PVR that makes use of the 6800's hardware encoder?

Or will the 9700Pro suffice as double the money is alot.

Thanks in advance

Regards
    Robert.

2. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS I am thinking of buying this week so the 6600 AGP is out as it is not released yet and it does need to be an AGP card.

3. H4r7y

H4r7y

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as far as i know the 6600 is available, but its pretty thin on the ground.
    im sure pc world component centre have some agp ones in.
    or maybe overclockers.co.uk

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I just swapped out a 9700 for a 6800GT and with TheaterTek 2 + FFDSHOW DVDs are looking a lot better.

6600GTs have been seen at scan.co.uk and PC World, off and on, some members round here have got them, but stocks at present are very thin on the ground.

According to NVidia themselves there is NO software that makes use of the 6XXX encoders, either 6800 or 6600, NVidia have said the first application that will support it is MCE 2005, when further application support will be seen they're not saying.

The other features of the card are generic DX9, or the video processing which is used by the NVidia MPEG decoders unless you're running in software mode, in which case on a small part is still used.

If you're not desperate to change then IMHO the 6600GT is the card, I put in a 6800GT only because I had the chance of getting one cheap.

5. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies but the question is is it worth the £50 premium for the 6600GT or the £95 premium for the 6800.

Cheers
    Robert.

6. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    The 6xxx series have hardware decoding, which is broken in part on the 6800 by the way, they fixed it on 6600.

What appears in terms of encoding, if anything at all, remains to be seen. I doubt if it will be of any use to 99% of people whatever it is.

I'd go for a 6600 GT if I were you, it blows away the 9700 pro or 9800 pro for that matter.

More info: http://www.techreport.com/onearticle.x/7535

7. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Broken in the 6800? damn that rules it out if it is true or is this just in earlier chips?

The 9700Pro still holds up quite well on todays games (I use one in my normal PC just now) which for £93 sounds perfect, just dont want to get 2 months down the line and wish I had gone for the 6600GT which is £50 more.

Cheers
    Robert.

8. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have a 6800 GT btw, upgraded from a 9500 pro. I like it. Click on PC in my sig to see spec and pics, it's quite close to what you are getting.

9. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok Decision made, otherwise this project is going to spiral out of controll. 9700Pro for £93 seems the best value item to me as I do not plan to play many games on it. Just the odd one.

Cheers for the help and thanks for the non video on the 6800 info.

Robert.

10. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I know you've made up your mind, but just to clarify for anyone else reading this ...

The 6800 uses the NV40 chip. This chip was supposed to support, among other things, WMV decoding acceleration. According to information eventually made public by NVidia this was disabled in the production version of the chip since it didn't work well .. whether it was broken or sub-par is hard to say.

There's a report on Anandtech from mid-summer with the information provided by NVidia should anyone be interested, I no longer have the bookmark though.

All later derivations of the NV40, ie. the NV43 as in the 6800, as well as the NV41 will have this working. There are suggestions that the PCI-e version is also fixed, but whether that's the case I'm not sure, if so it probably means it's using the NV41.

Bottom line: 6800s are fine for everything other than WMV decoding, which right now is pretty usless except for the infamous T2 Extreme and some demo HiDefs. If one wanted a card good for gaming as well as HTPC the 6800 is fine, indeed IMO the 6800 is great for HTPCs in any case.