Radio recording - increasing file sizes

16to9

Novice Member
I've just noticed that the size of files created by MCE when recording radio programmes has shot up. (I'm recording straight from a digital tuner.)

Looking at some recent recordings of a 30 minute Radio 4 programme, it records about 270MB, and that's the size of the files since May this year.

However before April, the same programme came in at about 52MB - about 5 times smaller.

Now either the BBC have really ramped up the bitrate, or some "fix" to MCE back in the spring messed about with the way it records audio-only streams.

Now a 52 meg file is about what I would expect for a 34 minute (in total) recording at 192kbps, but 270MB? I doubt that even Radio 4 deserves a bitrate of 1mbps!

I wonder what is going on...

WheresMyArtisan

Novice Member
It sounds like it's recording a blank screen full of video aswell.

Just checked a recent Radio 4 recording. 20-30 minutes long, 259MB.

Well done Microsoft. I bet they havne't noticed, as i don't think the yanks have DVB radio. Fancy doing a bug report to them? Is there even a way of getting aftersales support from MS?

mannyo

If the bitrate of the channel has increased, this would explain the increase in file size as the raw mpeg2 stream is whats recorded by mce.

16to9

Novice Member
If the bitrate of the channel has increased, this would explain the increase in file size as the raw mpeg2 stream is whats recorded by mce.

It wouldn't need that much for audio. Any much more than the implied bitrate of about 1000kbps and it'll be a video stream!!

What's the procedure for reporting bugs to MS?

Bluestraw

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I'm having the same issue and wonder if anyone found a solution?

On MCE 2005, I rolled back past the update which caused this to happen, so wasn't worried about it - i.e. it is definitely a MCE problem, since the channel bitrate hasn't changed.

However, I now installed Vista MCE, and the same thing is happening. It's wasting a lot of my disk space on radio recordings - anyone have an idea what could be done?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom