1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radio Frequency Remote & HTPC

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by oscar_p, Nov 12, 2003.

1. oscar_p

oscar_p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,
    Have my HTPC up and running (Nebula DigiTV and myHTPC). The final piece is to add a remote control, which needs to be RF as the PC is upstairs and the TV/amp downstairs.

After lucking around remotecentral.com, I've toying with either a Pronto with the RF extender (so that I can also control Amp, TV etc) or the Remote Wonder I or II. These will be linked to the PC using girder (when I get my head around it :eek: )

Any recommendations or other remotes I should consider ? Have I missed anything (like girder not accepting RF signals !)
    Cheers,
    OscarP

2. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,955
    I bought a cheap IR wireless extender from CPCs, and it works a treat - haven't tried it with my Girder IR device, as that's physicaly extended in front of me, but here's the extender:

http://custom1.farnell.com/cpc/product.asp?catalog_name=CPC+Catalogue&product_id=275967

The receiving extender also has a transmitter on a lead, so that if you have a device that is in a cabinet out of view for instance, the led can be placed in the cabinet near the equioment.

HTH

Gary.

3. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have you looked at NetRemote. This uses a Pronto style ccfs on a any PC2000/2/3 PDA device. It uses bluetooth or wifi to communicate with girder. It also features feedback this allows the pc to update the PDA remote display. It requires a little more effort to learn but it's far superior to a standard Pronto setup.

4. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd agree, an IR solution with transmitter/receiver would be easier. Played with ATI's "Remote Wonder" - not impressed. Poor range & VERY limited in what it can do (certainly without an AIW card).

Just charged my Axim again so going to have another look at Netremote.

Any tips/.ccfs you'd like to share?

:smoke:

5. BBD

BBD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Kramer - bit of a late response but I typed a long reply on Saturday and just before posting it locked up grrrh!! I've thrown together a bit of info. on my Remote set-up on this website

here

The pictures are poor my camera struggles in low light and my shaky hands don't help but it should give you the idea.

:hiya:

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers - looks good.

Haven't had time to "play" yet.

:)