Radio and HTPC

scrufftyguy

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm planning on getting a HTPC, and i'm wondering what's the best way of receiving internet radio?

Is it best to get a squeezebox, or something, and route it from there, or just use the PC?

Ideally I won't be using a monitor and will just use my remote (harmony one) and an LCD display on the PC to select stations etc.

Thanks! :smashin:

Ade

You may find that for internet radio you are better off with a standalone model with a decent audio output that connects over WiFi, and has no PC requirement at all.

Web Media Plugin for Vista Media Centre allows you to play Internet radio through Vista Media Center. Integrates into the UI pretty well and works OK for me. There's a version XP Media Center, too.

I had a squeezebox, and they're very good, but you shouldn't need one if you have an HTPC

Web Media Plugin for Vista Media Centre allows you to play Internet radio through Vista Media Center. Integrates into the UI pretty well and works OK for me. There's a version XP Media Center, too.

I had a squeezebox, and they're very good, but you shouldn't need one if you have an HTPC

That looks like just what I'm after! I'm still learning lots about the HTPC thing, especially on the software side of things....Is Windows Media Centre what most people use, and will it all work well with a remote and LCD screen on the HTPC case?

What other essential pieces of software should I be looking at?

That looks like just what I'm after! I'm still learning lots about the HTPC thing, especially on the software side of things....Is Windows Media Centre what most people use, and will it all work well with a remote and LCD screen on the HTPC case?

Yes, it should all work fine... it does on my setup!

What other essential pieces of software should I be looking at?

Check out this thread and, of course, the HTPC FAQ thread.

Good luck!

Does anyone know if there is a plug in to get BBC radio live and listen again working in the Media Centre?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom