Radio 1 TV 0

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DustySox, Mar 28, 2006.

1. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi,

Driving home from work this evening, and happen to be station surfing. Whilst there is a lot of "dross" out there is still some darn fine broadcasters doing a fine job. In particular Johnny Walker. Who is leaving drivetime. :(

Some of the stations were playing the same songs "on the hour every hour". yawn. Whilst others seem to have it just right. Music at the moment (especially British) is in very good shape.

I'm fourty years old now :( :( and find I'm still enjoying radio, Moyles/Mills on Radio 1. Johnny Walker/ Ross on Radio 2. I've never been a fan of Wogan (millions will disagree!), and Jeremy Vine just talks talks talks, what a class interviewer he ain't. Also enjoying Classic FM, and Talk Sport.

I couldn't help thinking that with Sky soon to be offering HD, the programes will still be as "crap" all be it "high quality picture crap"!. Radio sure could teach tv a thing or two.

Opinions....the worlds full of em!!!

atb

Darren

2. Whitley Bob

Whitley Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes I was sorry to hear Johnny Walker is leaving the drivetime slot. Did I hear him say something about a weekend show? I love his "relationship" on air with Sally "Traffic" Bowesman.
    I always used to have the radio on all day on radio one years ago in my workshop and you really get used to the personalities of the presenters. But then they started to play some seriously bad music (Rap) and had a shake up of presenters so I had to look for a new station. Settled on Virgin for quite a while but can't stand commercias. Now I mostly listen to radio 2. I just cannot stand commercial local radio though.

3. MonkeyKnuckle

MonkeyKnuckle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +718
    :thumbsup: i listen to them if im available to:)

4. krish

krish
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Astral Crescent, Zoovroozlechester, Betelgeuse V
    Ratings:
    +17,058
    Isn't Chris Evans taking over JW's slot?

Much prefer five live whenever driving - and also pick up Simon Mayo's daily podcast, since usually not driving when he's on

Sometimes listen to Zane Lowe on Radio 1 - plays some decent music!!

Still miss Mark & Lard!!! :mad:

5. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Used to love Classic FM when it first went on air about 10 years back. If such a thing is possible, I think the station has dumbed down a lot, so I occasionally flick over to R3 ... though not when Jazz is on (spare me!).

I was a religious listener to R4 in the mornings from 9am till noon when I used to work afternoons/evenings; and I miss 'Home Truths' with the late, great John Peel. Listened to that show from its first broadcast. Another old R4 show I used to love was 'Loose Ends' with Ned Sherrin.

As for TV? Aside from a few select shows - sitcoms, documentaries, the odd film - it's never on in our house. The PC gets stared at more than the telly ... unless we've got a DVD on.

6. DustySox

DustySox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi.

I think Chris Evans is taking over drivetime. Johnny Walker is going in to one offf interview specials (bit like he did with Eric Clayton), and I think he is taking over from Ed Stewarts 5-7 slot on a Sunday. Ed stewart is 65 and retiring. I think I'm right in this, please correct if wrong.

I'm no fan of Jo Whiley or Edit Boman/the irish fella whose name I've completely forgotten.

I listened to Chris Evans last Saturday, and I'm not sure he's the man for the job. Time will tell. I luved him in the early days at Radio 1/Virgin. He was "dangerous", and that made for compulsive listening. Now days, I find him bland.

I caught a bit of Zane Lowe other day, I like his style and the music he plays. It was always going to be a tall order to replace the brilliant John Peel.

Heres a thought, seeing as we watch our PC's more than Tv, what about internet in HD.....far more interesting and watchable!!!!

More thoughts most welcome on radio being better than TV??

Darren

7. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    I quite like Mr Evans (despite him nearly hitting me with a golf ball a few months back!), but Stuart Maccone (sp?) has always done a great job standing in for JW and I would have liked him to take over.
    I think Ed Stewart is being 'forced' to retire, but that is no bad thing since he seems to pitch his show at the 80 somethings!
    Radio 2 has a very good mix these days, if it just could just drop the dross, like "The Organist Entertains" it couldbe really good, surely even the very old can't enjoy that rubbish?

8. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,536
    Yep, Radio seems to have got people talking again, it used to be, did you see such and such on the box last night, but now it seems to be, did you hear that call on Scott Mills show today, can't believe they did that on Kerrang yesterday, etc. All top stuff IMO, especially as I spend plenty of time in the car!

I also like the live bands being asked to do covers on Jo Wileys show, there's been some corkers recently :smashin:

9. Beobloke

Beobloke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Me too! :(

I also agree that Stuart Macone should have replaced JW on the drivetime slot, even though i did find myself chuckling to Chris Evans a couple of Saturdays ago.

10. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,960
    Mark and Lard were brilliant and sorely missed. Generally in the course of a day, I will listen to Radio 4 from 6.30-7.30 odd (driving time), Radio 6 at work if we don't have a CD on and Radio 1 from 18.00-1900 (driving back) except Fridays when I might have a bit of classic instead of Pete Tong.

11. sleepyone

sleepyone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Dominic Diamond on XFM Scotland doing the morning show. :clap: