Radiators + DLP Rear Pro = Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by ash, Jul 18, 2005.

1. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    I have a radiator, and want to put a DLP Rear Pro in front of it, I'm still considering getting a Plasma maybe, not sure yet. I have put my 7 year old JVC CRT 29" in front of it, and so far :rotfl: (7 Years) nothing has gone wrong, the heater is on full blast in the winter as well. Do you think I can put a DLP or Plasma there without any trouble? I attached a quick pic, the radiator is around 2.5m long I think.

Attached Files:

2. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Generally speaking electronic components are more prone to failure in extreme conditions (whether this is hot or cold). If you have a hot area behind (no smutty comment ok:D ) your TV, this is usually where any fans tend to exhaust to. If the fans can't dissapate the heat into the air around it to cool the electronics inside then the area around it will become warmer and therefore the inside of your unit may become hotter, making it more likely to overheat and therefore possibly more prone to component failure.

This isn't anything specific to DLP here, although I would guess that if your lamp is run outside of it's intended operating zone then it's life may be shortened.

3. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    What you mean mate? Operating zone?

4. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most equipment has a recommended operating temperature/zone - for example, between 15-30C.

Just because your room may be at an overall ambient temperature of 25C, doesn't mean to say the area behind your TV/beside your radiator is (that sounds harsher than is intended, but you get the idea ?)

5. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,442
    I have mine in a bay window but have the rad on low and a gap of around 25cm for ventilation. (radaitor is housed in a rad cover) :smashin: It's never hot in this area and the rad helps balance out the tempreture drop that occurs from the window.

Chumpy has hit the nail on the head. :hiya: As long as this area isn't too hot or cold you will be fine. :thumbsup:

BTW your tv is facing the window in your picture, if you turn it around the picture improves considerably. Viewing by double glazing reflection isn't recomended :rotfl: :D :smashin:

:D

6. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    I havent bought the new TV yet, unlucky Razor, I also have the windows, so it sounds allright, thanks.