1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radiator Problem and a few other questions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Johnnypanic, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Johnnypanic

Johnnypanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi,

convinced the wife to open the purse and spend a few bob on a panasonic plasma :thumbsup:

Have a few concerns / questions.

Main problem is placement. The ideal place in our living room unfortunately is above a radiator and quite a big one at that. Obviously concerned about heat. Would fitting a radiator shelf be sufficent to deflect the heat away from the plasma ?

Wish to connect a freeview box and a dvd player. Freeview box has scart out (rgb), but dvd player also has component out. Seems there's a baffling amount of options available, but what to choose :confused: Connect freeview to scart terminal board and dvd player to vga with component to vga cable ?

Bear in mind, I'll have to redecorate the room and buy her indoors a piece of furniture for the hall, I'm anxious to keep costs down.

Lastly (sorry for the long post :blush: ), my last concern is delivery. If I purchase say from someone like av-sales, do they pixel check the plasma before sending it and do I have a right to send it back if I'm not completely satisfed ?

that's it (probably) :laugh:

So many questions, so little money :rolleyes:

Johnnypanic

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    I have a similar problem, sticking the plasma above a radiator/fireplace will just shorten the live of the screen as the fan has to work harder to stay cool.

If there's no other options you could just move the radiator (although that would cost a few bob!)

3. Johnnypanic

Johnnypanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Moving the radiator is out of the question, so I've been told ( or should that be warned :) )

Johnnypanic

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,528
    Johhnypanic

I'm assuming your considering a Panasonic TH-42PWD6BX (Charcoal) or TH-42PW6B (Silver) display.

If yes keep in mind these are 'fanless' designs they rely on convection so the air they pull in should ideally not be super hot to start with.

The operating range of the Display is 0-40C - if you can deflect any direct heat that would be good and regulating the temperature of the radiator to keep it below 35C (or less) would be an idea.

Keep in mind the Display does produce a fair bit of heat - so you may have to turn the radiator down anyway :)

I cant speak for other retailers but I know we do a visual inspection, board installation and basic set up before WE deliver.

Best regards

Joe

5. Dr Downey

Dr Downey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We haven't had the heating on in our lounge since we got our plasma. It's a radiator all on it's own!

6. Johnnypanic

Johnnypanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Our living room is quite large and I had to get the radiator in question installed to provide adequate heating, as the radiator on the other side of the room couldn't heat the room sufficently.

The wife loves the heat, so I've no hope of removing it, but if a plasma does generate a bit of heat, it may be that I can keep the radiator down low and still have adequate heating for the wife.

Anyone any comment on my connection questions ?

thanks,

Johnnypanic