1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radiator Placement

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Dick Scratcher, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tell me if I'm mad. I'm in the planning stages for my ninja PC and I'm having a few second thoughts about the ideal position of the water cooling radiator. My original plan was to have the radiator fixed to a 120-80mm adapter and mounted on the blowhole. This seems to be a fairly common way of doing it but does take air from the case that is already warm.

BUT. How about this as an alternative. The case is a clear acrylic item which I think can have the face plate fixed to the main carcase upside down!!! The 3.5" bays would be more or less in the same central position with the full size bays on the bottom half. Since I plan to only use a DVD writer it can be mounted directly below the floppy drive and not look too out of place as there are 4 full size bays. Now, the front fan opening will be at the top of the faceplate to which I can then mount the radiator/adapter. By placing a standard 80mm fan in the blowhole I can effectively draw cool air from the outside and, once it's gone through the radiator, have the warm air immediately drawn out through the blowhole.

I realise I can do this without inverting the faceplate by simply mounting the radiator/adapter at the bottom of the faceplate but warm air from the radiator will add to the heat inside the case before being drawn out through the rear fan or blowhole. Plus it will take up room in the bottom of the case which I plan to use to mount the water tank/pump. All the watercooling gear inside the case. Neat.

Well, am I mad?

2. kron

kron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Defo make sure that you have cold air going through the radiator.
    I have a watercooled Lian-L1 PC61 ,but i have the pump, radiator,res all out side the case .I don't know your case(got a pic?) or the size of it but i have seen some very neat installations in the type of case i have so it can be done.

3. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kron,

Watercooling kit is a Wet & Chilly Chips so it's a bit of a looker hence keeping it within the case. UV dye in the water will add to the overall effect. See piccie.

4. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's better.

Attached Files:

5. mephistopheles

mephistopheles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your idea sounds good to me. The case looks amazing.

Where are you getting the 80-120mm fan adapter; is it part of the kit? Does it incorporate a duct?

6. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fan adapter didn't come with the case unfortunately. It's a nice transparent blue item but only a stopgap, I'm waiting until Mitron's UV acrylic adapters become available in the UK. I don't plan on using a duct as I need to step up from an 80mm opening to a 120mm fan. Be nice if they were available in clear acrylic as I've got got a few idea's for using one with a plasma discharge lamp.