RadianceXD

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Reaction score
Here's the UK press release. Like the US one with specifics about UK pricing and about the service and back up UK dealers will be adding.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Convergent-AV LTD, 01483 302966, [email protected]

Lumagen Introduces RadianceXD™ Video Processor: First Model of New Series for 2007

Supports 18 Video Inputs: Six HDMI with HDCP; Four SD/HD Component, Four S-Video, and Four Composite; HDMI and Component Inputs Accept Resolutions of up to 1080p at 60 Hertz

Supports Two HDMI outputs at Resolutions up to 1920 by 1080, at 60-Hertz (includes lower refresh rates......)

At an MSRP of £2895, RadianceXD Boasts The Highest-Performance Video Switching, Processing and Calibration, Making It Ideal for All High-Definition Home and Commercial Theater Applications

January 02, 2007 — Lumagen, Inc., a leader in the design and manufacture of video processing / switching products for the home and corporate theater markets, announces the new Radiance™ series of video processors.
Combining proprietary strides in video technology with enhanced connectivity flexibility
(up to 18 video and 18 audio inputs), Lumagen's Radiance series both refines and enhances the video images presented by high definition front projectors and top-level rear-screen and flat-panel displays, while at the same time functioning as an extensive central switching hub ideal for large home and corporate theater systems.
“By incorporating improved video de-interlacing, new MPEG artifact reduction and temporal noise reduction, Radiance expands upon the company's well-known Vision series – a line which received industry recognition in 2005 and 2006 for advancements in switching, calibration and proprietary No-ring™ scaling technologies,” says Lumagen President and CTO Jim Peterson.
“Radiance offers 10-bit processing, per-pixel standard definition (SD) and high definition (HD) video de-interlacing with adaptive diagonal filtering, edge enhancing scaling technology that does not add ringing (unlike competing products), plus MPEG mosquito and block artifact reduction. Finally, an important image quality feature is temporal noise reduction for both SD and HD sources. For all these reasons, the Radiance™ processor series sets the industry benchmark for switching, calibration and video processing performance,” furthered Peterson.
The first product in Lumagen's Radiance™ series is the RadianceXD™ which supports 18 video inputs - six HDMI with HDCP, four SD/HD component, four S-Video, and four composite. Component inputs can be combined with a composite to support up to four SCART RGBcvS video sources. The HDMI and component inputs accept resolutions of up to 1080p at 60 Hertz. Audio input can accompany the video on one of the HDMI inputs, or use one of the four analog stereo pairs, six coax or two optical audio inputs.

The RadianceXD supports two HDMI outputs at resolutions up to 1920 by 1080, at 60-Hertz progressive. The second HDMI output can be a copy of the first output, or it can be used as an audio only output to send audio to receivers that do not support full 1080p60 for their HDMI inputs. Audio output is supported on the HDMI connections plus two COAX audio outputs.

Other RadianceXD key features include user-adjustable image enhancement, including four configuration memories for each input, a programmable output resolution from 480p to 1080p, plus 1080i; the ability to zoom in on any source by up to 33 percent; selectable aspect ratios of 4:3, 4:3 NLS, 16:9, 1.85, and 2.35. The 4:3 NLS aspect ratio uses Lumagen's Preciseview™ user programmable non-linear-stretch mode to allow the user to program exactly how 4:3 sources fill a 16:9 display. For film sources 2:2, 3:2 and 3:3 pull-down detection is supported to allow for correct cadence output at 24, 48, 60 and 72 Hertz for 24 fps film sources, plus 50 and 75 Hertz for 25 fps film source.

The RadianceXD is a modular platform that allows for upgrading capabilities without the need to purchase an entirely new video processor. For example, the unit's current video processor chip utilizes 10-bit pixel-depth processing, however when a 16-bit pixel-depth video processor becomes available from Lumagen, it can be installed by simply replacing a small daughter card and updating the unit's software.

The Radiance series automatically detects the input format for SD composite, and SVideo, as well as HD component and HDMI signals. There is an extensive suite of test patterns. These include: 11-point parametric grayscale and gamma calibration; Color and Hue offsets; Y/C delay; CUE/ICP filtering, and programmable input and output color-space. An RS232 interface is provided for software upgrades and control functions. An external universal power supply enhances reliability, placement options, and allows for quiet – no fan – operation.

The UK distributor, Convergent-AV are aware that when you have a processor with this level of sophistication, it is unwise to allow someone with no training to set it up. That's why we are very careful in selecting who will resell Lumagen Radiance. While it is quite possible to follow set up guides and do a decent job yourself the real power of these devices is only tapped by someone who has experience of them and who knows how to get the best from them. Even although Radiance will have clearer, more intuitive on screen graphics, with HELP menu options, the increased calibration and configuration possibilities that Radiance offers will put it in another league once again. To that end we have taken the complexity and fear away from the customer. All RadianceXD will be setup and configured for optimum performance by your dealer as standard and a copy of the configuration will be backed up and sent to Convergent-AV for safekeeping and analysis. All you have to worry about is what to watch next.

Lumagen also produces the Vision series of video processors. These award-wining products were the first to provide affordable per-pixel HD de-interlacing for video sources and inverse-telecine for 1080i film-based sources, allowing a true 1080p viewing experience. Members of the Vision series include the VisionHDP and the Vision HDQ.

The RadianceXD will be available in 2007 Q2 from authorized Lumagen Radiance dealers at a suggested price of £2895. Rack-ears for 19” rack mounting of the RadianceXD are available at a suggested price of £50. Additional models in the Radiance line will be announced in spring of 2007.
The RadianceXD will be demonstrated at CES 2007 in booth South Hall 21666.
For all press inquiries, please contact Gordon Fraser at 01483 302966 or [email protected] # # #
Lumagen® is a registered trademark of Lumagen, Incorporated. VisionDVI, VisionHDP, VisionHDQ, VisionPro HDP, Radiance, and RadianceXD are trademarks of Lumagen Incorporated. Lumagen production schedules, products and features are subject to change without notice.

Beta units are expected February: To be put on beta list contact us at [email protected]

Attachments

• Radiance-XD.jpg
    Radiance-XD.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 426
Gordon, are you able to post the trade-in programme and values for existing Lumagen owners?

There is no trade in for current Lumagen in UK. In US they have bigger margins and even there the trade in programme is such that you are MUCH better off reselling your older unit. Sorry. The good news is that demand for s/h Lumagen is usually pretty good due to their continued excellent performance against the competition.

Gordon

Gordon, can you just tell me how one of these might work with the new Toshiba HD DVD XE1 player. I understand that this player converts its 1080i signal internally with its Silicon Optix Reon HQV chip to 1080p which sounds pretty good. So would the Radianz offer any additional processing capabilities on top - e.g. 10 bit processing of colors? Conversion of 1080p24 picture signal? etc.

The other area I have questions about is how it would handle the sound output from the new player. In order to take advantage of the new HD audio formats you have to use the 5.1 analogue outputs or somehow have something that can handle the HDMI 1.3 standard. I don't know how the Radianz might handle this. The reason I ask, is that somewheres I read that because the new video processors are doing so much processing, that lip synch starts to become an issue. If this is the case, I was wondering how the Radianz would handle the new audio formats and what would be the best connections to use? That is supposing this is even an issue at all?

Just asking now in advance of my new purchase of both the Radianz and XE1:D

Good questions.

Well having seen the quality of 1080i de-interlacing done by the HQV chip (big brother to the Reon) I would suggest you probably want to send the 1080i to the Radiance and let it do the de-interlacing. I think it is most likely to be more robust than the internal Reon chip.

The time it takes to do the processing of these signals is dependant on what processes you apply. So if you send composite video in sd to a scaler then ask it to de-interlace, scaler, apply noise reductions in temporal domain and sharpen, it'll take much longer than if you sent hdmi 1080i and just ask it to de-interlace to 1080p. In your case we would need to look at what the best situation would be for sending the audio and video.

Radiance is of course upgradeable and when the HDMI1.3 parts are readily available Lumagen have said there will be an upgrade IO board available. It's my intention to make this board as afordable as possible but we have no costs at this time and don't expect any till mid of year, or possibly after easter I'd guess.

Gordon

Thanks Gordon, I will wait to see how it all works out. Personally I am buying the Radianz for how it will improve SD DVD's and the cable television that I receive. But I would have thought more and more people will be wanting to combine the new HD players with scalers and will have similar questions. Have the guys at Lumagen any thoughts on how all of this will be catered for, or are you saying that they will wait for the new HDMI 1.3 standard to become more established before acting?

The scaler has multiple digital and analogue audio inputs along with audio delay capability. It's just if you want to send HD audio down HDMI1.3 you need to wait for 1.3 capable silicon.
Personally I don't think there is going to be a problem with lip sync in your scenario.

Gordon

Gordon,

Having not visited the forums for a while I missed on this announcement, which is why I sent you an email in the week (doh!). This may actually dovetail nicely into some upgrades (and failures) at chez Morris et fils (French isn't my strong point!).

Email or forum discussion is going to be convoluted so I'll give you a ring next week.

Tim

Interested in beta units. Can you please tell us a little more about the beta programme?

StooMonster

I am hoping to give details of beta later this week...but its looking more like Monday coming. BETA units will be hardware finished but the first few firmware updates will likely have some menu issues etc. From the off I would expect the video performance to outperform the current Vision range. I'd think it'll take a few weeks to iron out the compatibility bugs then it's up to Jim to decide what he feels is "production". For me it would be when they are stable, then they can spend time adding the performance enhmancements I know are planned and the super tricky functions that we haven't told anyone about. Just as the Vision range came out hardware finished (slight relayout after a month) then were updated over the last 2.5yrs I expect the same of Radiance. Difference between an original beta Vision from June04 to the same unit with current firmware is pretty vast....That's what makes me excited about Radiance.

Gordon

Is the SDI solution going to be available from beta launch? If I were to puchase a RadianceXD beta unit, I would like to use it from day one; and I need SDI for my DVD player.

Also, does the RadianceXD have analogue stereo audio pair RCAs? I would like to plug my Nintendo Wii into it, as I do VP50; or maybe my old VCR. If not, what's the recommended solution?

StooMonster

Good news on the audio. :thumbsup:

What kind of lead time are we expecting for SDI to HDMI convertors? Also, what's the ball-park pricing for these?

StooMonster

The UK distributor, Convergent-AV are aware that when you have a processor with this level of sophistication, it is unwise to allow someone with no training to set it up. ThatÂ’s why we are very careful in selecting who will resell Lumagen Radiance. While it is quite possible to follow set up guides and do a decent job yourself the real power of these devices is only tapped by someone who has experience of them and who knows how to get the best from them. Even although Radiance will have clearer, more intuitive on screen graphics, with HELP menu options, the increased calibration and configuration possibilities that Radiance offers will put it in another league once again. To that end we have taken the complexity and fear away from the customer. All RadianceXD will be setup and configured for optimum performance by your dealer as standard and a copy of the configuration will be backed up and sent to Convergent-AV for safekeeping and analysis. All you have to worry about is what to watch next.

This is an excellent move IMO, and will no doubt save time & headaches for all.

I am hoping to give details of beta later this week...but its looking more like Monday coming. BETA units will be hardware finished but the first few firmware updates will likely have some menu issues etc. From the off I would expect the video performance to outperform the current Vision range. I'd think it'll take a few weeks to iron out the compatibility bugs then it's up to Jim to decide what he feels is "production". For me it would be when they are stable, then they can spend time adding the performance enhmancements I know are planned and the super tricky functions that we haven't told anyone about. Just as the Vision range came out hardware finished (slight relayout after a month) then were updated over the last 2.5yrs I expect the same of Radiance. Difference between an original beta Vision from June04 to the same unit with current firmware is pretty vast....That's what makes me excited about Radiance.
Gordon

Gordon can you just explain how the updates for the Radiance will be handled. I am assuming here that most of the updates will be software downloadable to the Radiance, and that any hardware changes will be done in the future via a card.

How will we know when updates are available, will we be notified or will we have to frequently check on a website? It would be nice if Lumagen would send out an email when changes happen and tell us how to implement them and the implications for us.

You just worried me slightly when you said that there is a huge difference between the beta version and the version 2.5yrs on. Of course you would expect big changes but I would also like to think that people who had the beta versions ended up with the sophisticated later stage product, and that that wasn't a painful process for people. I am looking for reassurance here.

If you are a beta tester you will be expected to pass back feedback to Lumagen on issues you find and these will not be allowed to be discussed in public forums. You will be given access to the Lumagen BETA forum. I will be notifY by email about new firmware versions that are designed to fix bugs. Once the unit goes live to production you would check the Lumagen website for updates and to see whether you want to update or not. Some updates add features you may not need, others will be performance updates. I regularily tell my dealers to go and visit their customers or inform them of updates when there are significant performance enhancements.

Beta units are going to be hardware finished. The original Vision series units which had to be hardware modified were. Those it was discovered had an issue with HDCP and Toshiba HD-DVD players (there were 10 in UK) had their main PCB replaced FREE OF CHARGE after 1.5yrs.....I want Lumagen owners in UK to come back and buy more Lumagen products and to enjoy their investments. I cannot see that changing with Radiance.

Gordon

Thanks Gordon, thats good to know, and does reassure me. It means I can invest my money here knowing I am going to have something for the long term, rather than an electronic toy that lasts a year and then needs to be totally replaced with new technology. I think its that long term support and customer service which is really critical to making people feel like they have value for money. :thumbsup:

Gordon (or anyone ;) ) do you know if the RadianceXD supports the EDID modifications like the existing models? Specifically can it force SkyHD to output 576i/1080i via HDMI by the now infamous SM method :D

Prerequisite in my mind. My assumption is that Radiance will start off with all current Lumagen options in place.

StooMonster

Gordon,

I've been away for personal reasons and have emailed you direct and will try to call tomorrow. One question that springs to mind is that I've finally managed to get a black equipment rack since 1. Upgrading to Sky HD and 2. Replacing my silver/black Squeezebox with the new black/black model.

The only pictures I've seen of the XD are black and grey. Is a black case likely to be an option?

Tim

Gordon (or anyone else with the informaton)

I understand there is a more basic model (mainly in terms of connections) called the RadianceXS

1 Is there an official UK price for the RadianceXS and does this include installation as standard?

2 I understand that the de-interlacing is improved over Lumagen current models. Will it compare favourably to the DVDO de-interlacing strong point - ABT102.

3 Will the XS do the trick to enable 576i via Sky HD HDMI?

Best Regards,

Paul

Paul. Lumagen have not announced an XS yet, though one is likely in the future based on the XD/XS nomenclature. The only other product in the Radiance line that Jim Peterson (CEO) has mentioned is a "pro" model, but no details of this are available. I'm not even sure if it's being worked on yet.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom