1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radeon to dual displays - LCD and Projector for music playback console

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Rob.Screene, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Having recently upgraded to a Radeon 9500, which has VGA and DVI-I and a VGA adapter, I can perhaps now use a spare 15 inch LCD panel as a primary display when listening to my music collection on the HTPC.

Does anyone have experience of using dual-output with Radeons and say TheaterTek or even a Holo3d?

To-date I have just installed Radeon Catalyst 3.4 drivers and no control panel stuff.

Am I risking a smooth running HTPC by considering this?

What's the best music library/album navigation software that gives a nice remote controllable MP3 search and play with ASIO output?

I have 204 of my CD's in 256Kbps lame high-quality MP3 format, that I currently enjoy using the MAD 24-bit decoder and winamp ASIO plug-in.

cheers,
    Rob.

2. gallus23

gallus23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use MyHTPC as a front end...

Its very configuable does MP3,WMA, Movies, Pictures and a whole host of others.....

and its free ...

check http://www.myhtpc.net

3. dejongj

dejongj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am very much interested in that too Rob. Especially when running potentially different resolutions on the outputs. For example 575p component using a transcoder to my projector. And 1280x768 to my LCD using DVI or VGA. I don't necessarily have a need for them to be running at the same time though.
    I am mainly looking at using the HTPC for dScaler...Can dScaler work with two outputs on the same card in different resolutions?

4. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    With my experience the ati control panel needs to be installed to use the svideo, you are able to use the "Theater" mode to use one monitor for palying DVD's/Dscaler, the other for cd/web surf.

You can still run dual monitors at different refresh/resolutions

if you had a touchscreen, then you could use myhtpc/win32 version of netremote for an awesome interface.

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I've used dual display with my 9500 (and the previous 9000). As Nathan said you do need a control panel installed to enable the outputs and to allow switching between the primary displays for the overlay. Setup hotkeys to allow you to do this with a single button push.

You can only run the same resolution on each monitor in dual output mode but I have the primary set as the correct resolution for each of the two options. It works well enough;)

6. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks.

What modes are there? Is this documented anywhere?

cheers,
    Rob.

7. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Its either dual output where you have the same image going to each screen (except the overlay which only appears on the primary monitor although cat3.4 and later suppossedly fix this......sort of) and the other mode allows you to extend the desktop across both screens.