Radeon questions?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Punce, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I reckon I should upgrade my Voodoo3 card to a Radeon, but which one I'm not too sure. After reading various threads, I'm leaning towards the 7200, as it's more than adequate for DVD playback, cheaper and quieter due to not having a fan.

So if I do go for a 7200, is there only one, or are there different types like SDR and DDR etc?

I've seen this at my local shop:

"ATI Radeon 7200 AGP Graphics Card
    64Mb AGP 2x/4x SDR memory TV-Out -Retail - £63.00"

Would this one be worth buying?

I also have another dilemna, I will be using the PC for other uses other than HCPC. I don't fancy swapping the VGA cable all the time.

What options are there?

Cheers

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Punce,

The 7200 is a good buy, but it doesn't have the dual monitor support that you are looking for. For dual monitor support its the 7000 or the 8500. Neither are perfectly suited for HCPC, but both can do a pretty good job of it. These are OK for switching between displays, but are generally poor for showing both displays at the same time. This is especially true when viewing DVDs.

Jeff

3. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks Jeff

I really don't mind switching from one display to another.

Could I have another graphics card (PCI) in my PC and set up Hardware Profiles, so that I choose which one at startup?

(BTW - Is the description of that one I mentioned the right one?)

You've been very helpful to this thread Jeff - what a star!

4. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    In theory a second PCI video card might work, but I would think that you would be on very dodgy ground because even if you disable one of the cards in a hardware profile, the PC and BIOS are still going to see it and allocate IRQs etc. Another much safer and high quality solution would be an Extron VGA splitter/amplifier box. They cost about £150, but do a great job of splitting a VGA output into 2 and provide signal amplification to help with long cable lenghs. The 7200 uses SDR memory, here is the full spec.

http://www.ati.com/products/pc/radeon7200/specs.html

Jeff

5. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I noticed the 7500 has dual monitor support and DDR memory as opposed to the SDR on the 7200.

Is it a better card except for the fan noise? I need more info before I buy! :(

The 7500 will be £45 more, better than perhaps a switchbox for £150 if it does the job!

Thanks

6. Dangerous

Dangerous

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless your power supply fan is virtually inaudible you won't hear the fan on the 7500.

7. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    So would the 7500 be a better choice than the 7200, considering that I won't mind the fan noise, and that it has dual monitor support? Or is there a vital point I'm missing, like a driver problem?

Sorry for all the questions, got to get this right the 1st time!

8. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    The 7500 does indeed have dual monitor support (I didn't think it did, but I just checked the specs). On AVS they recon the 7500 fan noise isn't that bad so it shouldn't be a problem unless your other components are ultra quiet. Just make sure that you get a proper ATI 7500 and not a 3rd party/oem model, otherwise you might well run into driver issues. Digital Connections in the US (HTPCs and components vendor) recalled all the OEM 7500 they sold because official ATI drivers wouldn't work/install with the cards.

Jeff

9. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks Jeff for the peace of mind, I'll call my local shop to see if they've got a Retail 7500 in stock ;)

Cheers

Punce

10. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let us know how it goes on, the 7200 around here all seem to have vanished!.

11. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've just searched the web for somewhere that sells the Radeon, and I found www.ukpc.tv selling the 7200 for £63 and the 7500 for £86.25!

Surely these are the best prices around...

I don't know what the dealer is like, anybody had any experience? I think it's the retail version too, as it doesn't have (OEM) in the description like some of the others - would obviously check it out 1st!

12. DamianD

DamianD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Punce, I've got a 7200 on order from ukpc.tv at the moment. I e-mailed them before hand and they confirmed that they were the offical ATI products. I placed the order last Wednesday but it hasn't arrived as yet. When (or if... ) it arrives I'll post confirmation of exact details...

13. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    cheers for that Damian, I'll wait for your nod :)

Great price innit?