Radeon Polaris - RX480

fxv300

Established Member
Reaction score
If you have configured an HTPC system this may be of some interest to you. On June 29th Radeon will release the RX480 RX470 and RX460 GPUs. This is part of their POLARIS technology. This will bring a multitude of benefits to an HTPC system. HEVC decoding, HDCP2.2, HDMI2.0b, Display Port 1.3 and 1.4 and many other features. For me this will provide a solution without having to buy the NVIDIA GTX1080 which cost approx £600. Visit https://sites.google.com/site/soundsokok/amd-radeon-rx480 for all the prelease comments and specifications.

Hi , just thought I would share my experience with you. Got a Radeon RX480 yesterday and works very well with DVBviewer. It can decode HEVC on the fly so works for Astra UHD broadcasts 4K @ 50 fps. This also supports HDMI2.0b, Display port 1.3 and 1.4
My HTPC now is fully fledged.

Made a video if you care to take a look. If anyone wants to ask anything about the setup feel free to do so.

Frank

Installed Crimsom 16.7.1 and ran AMD RX480 on compatability mode on and tested. .

!!! AVOID THIS CARD AT ALL COSTS !!, BSOD, no H264 DXVA decoding, random black and blank screens, its a mess.

Have been using this card for about a month. No BSOD whatsoever. DXVA works for me using LAV decoder to decode HEVC using DVBviwer Astra 2E UHD demo.
The black screen issue is being looked at by AMD.

Have been using this card for about a month. No BSOD whatsoever. DXVA works for me using LAV decoder to decode HEVC using DVBviwer Astra 2E UHD demo.
The black screen issue is being looked at by AMD.

HEVC is H265 so yes this plays fine, the problem is with H264 material, but not all H264 stuff either, it tends to be higher bit rate material and frame packed 3D MVC mkv files all of which play fine on my ageing HD7450.

it also only happens when I skip through the movie, if I just play it, it tends to be ok.

These are all things we've seen before with early drivers, I dont think my card is fault.

here are some more examples.

Interlaced H264 DXVA decoding on Radeon RX 480 · Issue #98 · Nevcairiel/LAVFilters · GitHub

DXVA not working with AMD Rx 480 - Guru3D.com Forums

h264 hw decode issue.JPG
Yes I can confirm that H264 HW acc is not working.
I will mention this to AMD but that may be a problem with the decoder not the driver.

out of interest, you will mention to AMD in what capacity, do you have business contacts with AMD and maybe access to beta drivers?, just interested

interesting, you have all the same issues as me, black and white screens also.

out of interest, dont suppose you also have a Sandybrigde CPU and PCI express 2.0 mainboard, It had been suggested that this was causing our issues but I'm now not sure.

here is my system info (via Crimson)
Radeon Software Version - 16.8.1
Radeon Software Edition - Crimson
Graphics Chipset - Radeon (TM) RX 480 Graphics
Memory Size - 8192 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Core Clock - 1266 MHz
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 16 GB
CPU Type - AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1100T Processor

My motherboard specs here

interesting, you have all the same issues as me, black and white screens also.

I have had no issues since yesterday....I removed raptr and playtv app. Also Steam was disabled a few days ago. so that approx 24hrs since last event.....PC was on till 23:30 yesterday and on agin about 8:15 this morning

interestingly, I think my BSODs started again after I reinstalled STEAM !

Yours is also only PCI express 2.0, I wonder is this is the issue, I dont mind if it is, I just want this fixed even if I have to ugprade my board and CPU.

Must be a driver issue, never had a problem with my previous GPU R9 270x.
Not too sure and never had a BSOD since W10. We'll see what AMD come up with.

Yeah I saw that, it should be ok but I was concerned that the combination of none PCI express CPU and mainboard might cause a problem, just concerned that its not stable because of this and AMD are keeping it quiet as it will harm sales.

which is the best driver use at the moment, does rolling back to any of them stop the black/white screen issue, its infuriating.

13th August:

Just an update to let you know I had another occurence of a black screen.

The video shows all the processes left running. In this case the GPU did not go to 100%. PC was put to sleep and then brought out of sleep mode. In this case there was no browsers loaded at all and no excel or Outlook.

I have also done a video showing H264 problem when turning on HW Acceleration using LAV filter 0.68.1

UHD works fine but H264 breaks up.

Videos

DXVA H264 problem

https://youtu.be/Ek45LblB45k

AMD RX480 Black Screen 13 Aug 2016

https://youtu.be/ISotcUi2_fQ

just got a red screen of death, this is so annoying, seriously considering returning the card and AMD still haven't acknowledged a problem.

I got a reply on my AMD ticket, they have asked for more detail and my DXDIAG report, i'll update you if anything interesting comes of this, i'm just hoping for an acknowledgement of the problem, I dont mind waiting for a fix, just as long as it doesn't take too long.

Trying to install a 470 in a Linux system which is based on an older motherboard (a socket 775 one). The driver does not seem to work. After installation the GPU is not recognized. I did try it under Windows on the same motherboard which worked. Any suggestions?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom