Radeon numbering help

C

CharlieMuffin

Hi,

I have two pcs Athlon x3000, one with Powercolor x800 graphics and one with onboard. I have bought a powercolor x1600 pro. Which would make the better machine for gaming? All toms hardware charts show the x800 as better but the x1600 has dx9c/shader 3/ better features...

Confused and thankful for any explanation

MikeK

Hi,

I have two pcs Athlon x3000, one with Powercolor x800 graphics and one with onboard. I have bought a powercolor x1600 pro. Which would make the better machine for gaming? All toms hardware charts show the x800 as better but the x1600 has dx9c/shader 3/ better features...

Confused and thankful for any explanation

The proof is in the pudding!
Download some gaming benchmark tests, run them and see for yourself (BTW, while the CPU and GFX card are probably the most important, the motherboard itself can have an effect on performance, and don't overlook drivers (and it's not always the latest which yield the highest performace, especially with older hardware))

Best place to start is probably

http://www.futuremark.com/download/

and their 3DMark series of gaming benchmark software!

There are others too though (some games have them built in)
You could try running some of the same benchmarks as Tomshardware and compare their results to yours!

Personally I'd expect the x800 to be quicker than the x1600, though as you said, the x800 may lack some h/w features that it's later sibling does have (though whether that later sibling really has the grunt to make that much use of such features is probably debatable)

HTH

C

CharlieMuffin

Many thanks.

Q. was to see it worth swapping x800 with x1600, sounds like not worth bother. Will do the benchmark though for curiosity

Cheers

Tejstar

Distinguished Member
Some games won't operate unless they are shader 3 (like Bioshock for example) so that may make the decision for you.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom