1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radeon LE 32 Meg DDR £55 + delivery - import your own

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Mark Grant, Apr 1, 2001.

1. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello,

Here is a bargain for any DIY importers.
    http://www.newegg.com/

Radeon 32 meg DDR 'LE' version for $77, that is about £55. They don't ship internationally so you need a friend in the USA to order and post it on for you.

Can be tweaked with powerstrip etc to enable hyper z etc.

Useful radeon site:
    http://www.rage3d.com/

No Fan on heatsink, so ideal for HTPC/HCPC, nice and quiet.

Will post something when my card arrives and I have tested against a Radeon UK retail version (That cost me £150) [​IMG]

Mark G.

2. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Hi Mark,
    I'm also one of the mugs that bought the 32meg DDR version for £149 for my HTPC!

First impression is that its very good, nice colours and contrast, certainly better than the Geforce I previously had on my setup. BUT, the Radeon was more suscepteble to macrovison affecting the display in WinDVD - there was light pulsing/flickering, very annoying once you spotted it! I found a macrovsion remover hack for WinDVD, installed it and the picture is now perfect.

Be interested to hear your impressions of the LE verses the full version - may save somebody quite a bit of dosh!
    Regards,
    Paul

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    please do me a favour and check something on your radeon setups. If you have Gladiator R1, go to the chapter where you see Rome for the first time, the one where the new emporer arrives by chariot. While watching this chapter look for stability of the picture. Is it solid without any undue movement or do you get a wierd shimmering effect?

A few people have reported this in the US, but I haven't been able to tell if this is a general problem or not.

4. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Jeff,
    I'll check it out tonite and get back to you.
    Paul

5. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Jeff,
    I see no difference between the Raedeon and my standalone Pioneer 737 (othere than the Radeon looks brighter with deeper colours!). There is a slight shimmer but its the same on both so I don't think there is a problem unless its the DVD but its so slight you could miss it easily.
    Paul