Radeon installation problems

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Boris Blank, Oct 17, 2001.

1. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Sounds like your monitor - check that you have the proper monitor and monitor drivers installed (right click on the My Computer icon and have a look at the hardware properties - you may need to change the type of monitor which will also automatically change the drivers). Your monitor needs to be SVGA but if its an old monitor it may be VGA only.

You didn't say if your monitor worked ok before the change of card, if it did then its likely the properties of the monitor are set incorrectly in Windows for sure. If you only had 256 colours before then its likely you'll need a new monitor (you could also be trying to set a resolution which the monitor is incapable of displaying at more than 256 colours - what resolution are you using?).
    Regards,
    Paul

[ 17-10-2001: Message edited by: PaulB ]

2. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent, thanks Paul.

I used the Monitor in another PC set up before, it worked ok and It was definately displaying more tan 256 colours. It comes up as a PLUG and PLAY monitor in the device manager list. I can't find the actual name of it in the drivers list, does it just need any SVGA PnP drivers installed?

I'll give it a go tonight as I'm at work now, but any further suggestions to try as well would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Via chipset :rolleyes:

4. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Nick,
    Yep, Plug & Play SVGA will do it or Super VGA is another option but its better if you know the exact model of monitor as it may be able to provide a higher resolution than the generic Plug & Play drivers allow (but I wouldn't worry too much if its a no-name brand, Plug & Play / Super VGA will do nicely)

Let us know how you get on!
    Regards,
    Paul

[ 17-10-2001: Message edited by: PaulB ]

5. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will, don't worry, been kept awake at night with the problem for the last few days! Hopefully looking forward to a good nights sleep tonight!

Thanks again.

Jeff? Do you know any other problems I may have with VIA chipsets? Or are they ok once you actually get them working?

Thanks

Nick

6. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having major problems installing mym Radeon 32. I have a VIA chipset MB and have installed the 4-in-1 drivers, then installed the ATI drivers, but the PC won't allow more than 256 colours, no tru colour and if you increase the resolution the number of colours reduces! I have had the card tested and it's ok.

Could it be something to do with the 4 year old 15 inch monitor I'm using and the PC deciding it's not up to the job?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

Nick

7. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately it didn't seem to work. I'm still getting a choice of just 16,256 or 16 million colours, but if I increase it to anything over 600 and odd, by 400 and odd resolution it reverts to 256 colours!

I know the Radeon is ok, as It has been tested, so could it be a Motherboard Fault?

8. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Nick,
    Hmmmm, that should have worked. What version of windows are you using and what did you set the monitor type as?

Another solution is to do a search on the internet for drivers for the monitor - the monitor should have a name or a product no. (have a look at the back of the monitor) and you should be able to track down the specific drivers.
    Paul

Blimey, I'm making a lot of editing mistakes today!

[ 18-10-2001: Message edited by: PaulB ]

9. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll try it again tonight. The monitor in a SHINCO AV2 or something. I set it to one of the standard monitor types, SVGA 1024xwhatever, and then tried a different resolution.

I think maybe looking for drivers might be the answer, I'm assuming that the drivers for the Graphics card should be ok as it is brand new.

Thanks

10. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've found some drivers I think, it's a SHINHO AV2 585f, 15 inch 1024x768 @85Hz. I'll definately give these a go. If still no joy then I have someone who will have a look and check the PC and drivers completely.

£3k for a ROCK is looking cheap and hassle free at the moment.

11. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Nick,
    LOL, this is unusual and believe me its actually very simple to resolve (it probably appears difficult because you've not come across this sort of thing before), it took me about 2 or 3 minutes to locate and install drivers for my new monitor a couple of weeks ago.

Once you've been through a few of these sorts of problems you'll soon cotton on how to at the very least find the answer if not resolve the problem! Anyway, we're hear to help if you get stuck!

I'd reckon that the drivers you located will do the job for you, if not, let us know and we'll solve it one way or other,
    regards,
    Paul

"hear to help"!! I'm getting worse, I'm going for a lie down.

12. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Paul,

All I need this monitor installed for is so I can get the PC set up to drive the Barco 808 I was supposed to be having installed on Monday. I need to get all the software downloaded and the DVD player set up to some basic custom resolutions so that the Projector can be set up correctly. I never imagined it could be such a pain.

Hopefully this will help. I'll let you know either later tonight, or tomorrow.

Thanks again.

13. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Installed monitor drivers but made no diference. Think it must be more serious so I'm going to take it to someone to have a look. It might be a Motherboard problem, or VIA 4-in-1 drivers? Hopefully it's something really simple and I can still get PJ installed sometime next week!

14. MattB

MattB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Shot in the dark here, but I saw something similar recently - the PC had 1GB of ram installed at the same time as the Radeon and was conflicting. Simple solution was to take out 512MB then all screen resolutions were available.

15. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I have found a solution. It seems that the VIA 4-in-1 GART driver conflicts with the ATI gart drivers. SO you have to rename the ATIGART.INF file and it should hopefully work ok. I'll try it this afternoon and if it does I'll post a new thread incase anyone else has problems.

Once I get it working I'll update to all the latest drivers too, that may help.

Thanks

Nick

16. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Nick,
    I know what it is - don't do anything until you have tried this;

Go to Settings, Control Panel, Display, and then enter your required resolution and colour settings - the display settings have probably defaulted to VGA because of the new drivers! Argggghhh - should have thought of this before!!

Sorry mate, my fault for not stating the obvious. This should be all you need do to get it going!

Paul

17. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi Paul,

you mean just type them in? I'll see what it does and what I can do but I'm getting quiate frustrated with this PC building Lark! At least my laptop is working so I cn still post on the forums.

I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it and I really appreciate all your time and help. No doubt I'll get other problems and you seem to know quite a bit about pc's and theit foibles!

Thanks

Nick

18. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Nick,
    This is very odd - does the motherboard have a built in graphics chip perhaps? If so it may need to be switched off.

Whats the exact make/model of motherboard and what operating system are you using?
    Ta
    Paul

19. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    Yep, just click on the down arrows for the "colors" and select the variable you want(tru 16/32 bit colours etc) and the "screen area" which will provide you with options for resolution (1024 x 768 etc).

I'm ****ed off with myself as this is something I should have pointed out - classic case of aforgeting the basics!!
    Paul

20. Mr A

Mr A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick,

did you get this sorted?

21. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately still no luck! I've now retuned the PC to the manufacturer to have them sort it out. That's the last time I get a DIY PC, it's a lot better to just get someone else to set it up.

Thganks to everyone who tried to ehlp.

22. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got PC back from maufacturer, they tested it, founf contention problems with the modem and VGA card and sorted it.
    Got it home and plugged it in to my old monitor and found it was no different!!!!

I now think, and have checked with manufacturer that it is the old monitor. I'll check tonight but the guy on the Tech support desk thinks that the refresh rate will be set to adaptor default and this will be trying to output a 100 plus htx refreshrate to a 80 hz monitor!

Lets hope he's right!!

Cheers

Nick