1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radeon HTPC cards support 2 monitors????

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jonny1973, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know if there are any Radeon graphics cards out there that support 2 monitors??

I'd like to leave my PC connected to both my monitor and projector at the same time.

At the moment, I have a GeForce2 card but would like to upgrade to a Radeon as they are the best for DVD.

2. aderose

aderose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought an nvidia card that would do it - but I'm having problems getting it to work well with windows2000 - apparently 98 and XP have better support for dual monitors.

If you're not too concerned about the quality of the display on the computer monitor (and you dont use it for graphics intensive games, etc) you might want to consider getting a second, cheap video card which would have to be PCI since you only have one AGP slot.
    But this is only what I hear, I've never tried it myself and I can imagine it introducing a whole 'nother set of problems.

-Adriano

3. aderose

aderose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just read that part about you having a Geforce, sorry, please disregard.

4. HEADRAT

HEADRAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well I beleive the Hercules 7500 could be just what the doctor ordered :)

http://europe.hercules.com/products/3dpAIW7500/features_3dpAIW7500.php

I don't have one of these cards but I do beleive that the video overlay only works on the primary monitor, so that would have to be your AE100. Nothing to stop you making you secondary display you monitor though...

This card will also make your HCPC act like a TIVO :)

Cheers

HEADRAT

5. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not so sure headrat, the second display mentioned on the Hercules site appears to be a TV-Out (S-Video).

I want 2 x SVGA out. The card I have at the moment is a Hercules GeForce2 MX Dual-Display (1xSVGA, 1xS-Video).

6. aderose

aderose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, then I retract my retraction! I have the Visiontek Xstacy Everything (which uses Nvidia Personal Cinema) - it has 2xVGA out and svideo/composite in and out - but only two of the 3 outs can be active at one time I believe. The DVD playback is great and the remote and PVR software that came with it isn't bad either (although the PVR doesnt work 100%)

But like I said, I'm having problems with multi-monitor in windows2000 - if you have 98 or XP by all accounts it works fine.

7. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently running an nVidia GeForce 2 GTS, but will soon be changing this for a Radeon 7500 or 8500.

I've already used a 7500, & the dual monitor output is ideal for a setup with the PT-AE 100 & desktop monitor.

It has DVI output (I have a 15.1 TFT flat panel monitor), but comes with a DVI to VGA adaptor, along with a standard VGA output.

Obviously, the use of both monitor outputs together is a no no, but hotkeys can easily be setup to switch between displays.

In conjunction with Girder & a Pronto, the viability of such a setup is great.

Make sure to get a "genuine" Radeon card though, the Supergrace version I tried didn't have DD-Ram (came with SD-Ram), wasn't made by Radeon & wasn't as good as my GeForce card in gaming etc...

8. HEADRAT

HEADRAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Indeed, fantastic piece of kit, had a Radeon 8500 for a while but it didn't like my Asus A7M266 Motherboard :(

In the process of getting the money together for an AE100 and a HCPC, the 7500 or 8500 DV are definately on my want list :)

HEADRAT

9. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Even the lowly Supergrace Radeon VE will do two monitors. The only catch is overlay is only available on the first output. So the projector needs to be on the screen one output. Not a problem in practice. At least not in my set up. The 7500 gives a slightly better image on a monitor but I'm finding it difficult to tell the difference on the projector.